Local TV

Hi,
we do a lot of livestreaming with Blackmagic TV Studio and Cerevo Liveshell streamer on YouTube live (events) from several sports in our community. We would want to upgrade this livestreams into a local TV, so when there are no games scheduled we would do some studio program (1 hour of local news and other shows) and we would broadcast the recordings of the games. We want to broadcast 24/7. I was thinking to duplicate the hardware we use for livestreaming, but this second package would be stationary in our office (aka studio).
For this we need some sort of a playout software. I was thinking to use Caspar CG which would feed the recordings to Blackmagic ATEM TV Studio and then stream the program trough SDI or HDMI out to Cerevo Liveshell.
Which Decklink cards do I need? How to switch between the recodings and livestreams? From the mobile unit (the gear that we already do the livestreams to YouTube live) I would stream not directly to youtube live, but to this stationary server over rtmp.

So the schematics that I have in my head are:

Livestreaming unit streams over RTMP to a computer in Studio, this computer is videosource for Studio unit (lets say Video Input 2 in ATEM TV Studio stationed in our Studio). When the livestreaming is happening I would play this over RTMP to VLC, when there is no livestreaming the recordings would be played as a videosource from Caspar CG (video input 1 in ATEM TV Studio stationed in Studio). If we would do local news (every day) I would use this mobile unit the same way as lives streams, but I would do that in a studio).

I hope I managed to describe what I am thinking of. Is this stupid? What would be your suggestion? What kind of a computer do I need for Caspar CG in Studio? What kind of Decklink cards (Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder?)

Is this achievable? Am I totally wrong?

Thank you for the time you will take for you to help me.

Best regards
Grega

Re: Local TV

Hi Grega,

first of all, CCG and a suiteable client would be able to handle your playout while in studio phase.
But your idea of the distribution is not perfect and won't work properly.

Well, let me repaint your scenario and the distribution as follows:
A = Live event from the road
B = Live from the studio
C = Recorded content
S = The studio control (Endcoder/Mixer etc)
STREAM = A Streaming server
Cust = Your customers/viewer

Code: Select all

Cust		  Cust		Cust
		  \			 |			 /
	Youtube / Other Streamingplattforms
				      |
		Cust  --  STREAM	--	Cust
--Internet-----/------\----------------
				  /   	  \
			    A		    S
						    /	\
					      B	  C
The idea is to let the A and S stream to a server in the internet that streams to youtube or to your customers directly.
The studio would control which incoming stream this server would forward to your youtube channel.

This has a view big pros in contrast to your setup:
* The stream from A does not need to be encoded more than once which preserves quality
* You can server you channel via youtube or via your own server
* you can have more than one livestream from A sources and let the studio decide what to show.
* You save bandwidth in your studio location
* You will have less latency for live streams from A

But there are cons too:
* It's harder to compose footage from A with it from B & C
* Previewing A from S has a latency
* You need a own streaming server in the internet
* Switching from A to B&C is not seamlessly

There are solutions for the first and last con. You could play A in CCG by receing its stream from STREAM. This would allow you to switch it seamlessly and you would allways feed your channel from S.
But this will eliminate some pros.

For the STREAM Server I could recommend you EVO Streamms. This streaming server has a powerfull rest API that allows you to control it from the studio or the live locations quit easy.

Cheers
mcdikki
sublan.tv - Wir teilen Begeisterung

mcdikki wrote:* The stream from A does not need to be encoded more than once which preserves quality
1) Using quality encoders that are set up well this should not be an issue. After all, we are talking YouTube output which will suffer from a lot of compression anyway.
mcdikki wrote:* You can server you channel via youtube or via your own server
2) You assume it is wanted to serve from one's own server, however this seems completely over abundant considering the original post stated YouTube was being used. Setting up a video server for distribution purposescosts money in server management, R&D, and bandwidth
mcdikki wrote:* you can have more than one livestream from A sources and let the studio decide what to show.
3) You COULD. But where does it say this is needed?
mcdikki wrote:* You save bandwidth in your studio location
4) Fair point, but only if data is limited.
mcdikki wrote:* You will have less latency for live streams from A
5) Disagreed from a viewer's perspective. Imagine an interview between the two locations: the time between an answer and question would double. Plus, YouTube adds 30 seconds of latency, I don't think these two or five seconds will make a huge difference.
mcdikki wrote: For the STREAM Server I could recommend you EVO Streamms. This streaming server has a powerfull rest API that allows you to control it from the studio or the live locations quit easy.
$30/month license + costs of hardware/hired server + costs of bandwidth + costs of developing an interface to the API is a pretty good argument to let go of this.
gre2gor wrote:I hope I managed to describe what I am thinking of. Is this stupid? What would be your suggestion? What kind of a computer do I need for Caspar CG in Studio? What kind of Decklink cards (Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder?)

Is this achievable? Am I totally wrong?
This is not stupid. This is achievable. You are not totally wrong. (even though mcdikki thinks it "won't work properly" I disagree with that) At the same time, nothing ever works without some effort ;)

Considering computer: this does depend a lot on the resolution of the channel. There are several threads on the forum discussing specifications. My tip: buy at a store where you can return it, and test the stability and performance before the return period ends.

Decklink Cards: for single channel video playout, a decklink mini monitor will suffice.

Switching: you would need to program remote controls for the ATEM switcher for this, or have someone in the studio pushing a button. Although, I wonder if you could setup an SSH tunnel to a network connected to the ATEM switcher and use the default control panel???
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek - Sometimes, I do get payed for this stuff.

Hi thank you both for the answers. I am new into this. What I have successfully done till now were only the livestreams from ice hockey games and some local events. What my thought is, that the gear is only in use mostly over the weekends, but I would like to put it to work when I am not livestreaming.
I have a portal which covers the events in our city. The portal is more or less alive for past 20 years. I would want to upgrade this portal with a local TV, which would allow me to maybe start a new business. Till now more or less every investment was from my own budget and volunteer action.
With a TV setup a new horizon would open. I already have a full program for the whole week, I just need it to start.
Basically I could start just now with the knowledge that I have from livestream, just that it would be live all the time, not just a game or event. That is why I am considering to buy another ATEM TVS HD which would allow me to have one unit stationed in a "studio" and one mobile unit. I just need to figure out what would the best way to mimic a TV station. I would want to have one stationary unit in "studio" and one mobile unit which would broadcast from this events. How to combine this? I can have a remote control for studio unit.
You can check what I have done till now (livestreams) on https://youtube.com/c/video2golive.

As I am reading what I have wrote, I realize that I already have all that it takes. I really do not need Caspar CG. But without Caspar CG I have to control the whole playout (program) manually. I have to use Caspar CG to have the program automatized. So Schedule and EPG comes into to the perspective. Is it hard to setup Caspar CG to follow (playout) the weekly schedule 24/7?

Do you follow? Or am I over complicating?