Development Status

I have been a long time user of CasparCG and it has enabled me to do many things for my clients that they would have never been able to afford without CasparCG. The community around CasparCG is active and helpful but I can't help but feel like the project has been abandoned. The last release was in December 2014 but it has an audio bug that makes it unusable. The bug was fixed in November 2015 but there has not be a release. This means I am stuck with 2.0.6 from February of 2014. Relying on software that is more than 2 years old makes me very uncomfortable.

I can't find the post now but I remember reading that there would not be a 2.0.8 and that the next release will be 2.1. Is this still the case?

2.1 was already in development back in 2012 when I first started using CasparCG. It seems to promise all kinds of great features but 4+ years of development seems like a lot more then a ".x" update. I haven't seen anything to indicate the 2.1 is any closer now than it was back in 2012. When you consider this with lack of activity on github the future of CasparCG doesn't look good.

All of this to say, is there any roadmap or plan for the next release?
Kevin

Re: Development Status

There are some threads here were you can see that there is active development in progress for 2.1.
There are rumors that it will be used for ECS 2016. So it should be close to release.

The dev. of 2.0.x stopped in favor for 2.1. Before 2.0.7, there has been way more fixing and development as it was planned. They said 2.0.4 would be the last release before 2.1 ;-)
Keep in mind that ccg is mainly developed by svt as side project. It's not their core business. So having longer dev. cycles is not that unusual. And on the other hand, the community does not contribute that much to the server core. They are mostly adding clients, templates and such.
So it is open source, but the core dev. is done by a few people with limited amount of time.

Conclusion: Don't be concerned. CasparCG is not dead and 2.1 will be great.

Cheers
mcdikki
sublan.tv - Wir teilen Begeisterung

Just checking in on this. Its been another year and a half and I'm still using 2.0.6. At this point I only have 1 client that is still using CasparCG. They need some more development and I am having a hard time not recommending that they move away from CasparCG. Is there a 2.1 build that is stable enough to consider using?
Kevin

respectTheCode wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 23:31
Just checking in on this. Its been another year and a half and I'm still using 2.0.6. At this point I only have 1 client that is still using CasparCG. They need some more development and I am having a hard time not recommending that they move away from CasparCG. Is there a 2.1 build that is stable enough to consider using?
Sad to hear that. Because I experiance the contrary: Always more and more companies switch to Caspar. What is the reason for your problems? Why does 2.0.7 not work for you?

I played around with 2.1 Beta 2 a bit, and think it is quite good.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

respectTheCode wrote:
What features are you missing / having problems with?

I'm expecting to see a stable release of 2.1.0 in Q1 of 2018, with notable upgrades to the ffmpeg consumer / producer (version update, long gop seeking, framerate interpolation) and a new CEF implementation (version 61).
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek

balte wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 12:26
framerate interpolation
I could really use that, about last month :). (If I had the time, i'd already be working on server code, but I don't.)

z!
busily converting content from 24p to 60i for a specific event

didikunz wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 10:51
respectTheCode wrote:
Sad to hear that. Because I experiance the contrary: Always more and more companies switch to Caspar. What is the reason for your problems? Why does 2.0.7 not work for you?

I played around with 2.1 Beta 2 a bit, and think it is quite good.
There are audio issue with 2.0.7. I don't remember the specifics but it had something to do with a byte overflow with interlaced outputs. There is a fix in 2.1 and someone back ported it to 2.0.7 but I was never able to get his build to work.

My other clients have had playback reliability problems with both 2.0.6 and 2.0.7. In general everything works great until you find a file that won't play. We always run everything through Media Encoder with the same preset so it doesn't make any sense why some files wouldn't work. The bad files either stop in the middle of playback or drop 10+ frames per second. Restarting Caspar normally helps but never completely solves it.

The new development is basically adding a second backup machine running Caspar and modifying my custom client to send commands to both and keep media files synced. I am a little concerned that the second machine will behave the same way the first one does. They are similar but different hardware so that might help.

One option might be to run 2.1 Beta 2 on the backup and upgrade the primary if it runs better. Is there an official build or a specific nightly build that I should use?
Kevin

elanvrt wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:13
Regarding development status: Why are there no more builds appearing on http://builds.casparcg.com ?
The latest Windows build for 2.1.0 dates back from april 24th and the 2.2.0 branch that seems to exist on Github has no builds at all.
I have some builds of the 2.1.0 branch available here: https://caspar.julusian.co.uk/2-1-0/ I have to trigger my server building these, so there aren't many, but latest will be appearing very shortly.
2.2.0 was only formed a couple of days ago and hasn't had any changes yet, so I don't have any builds of that.

I have tested build 8737 but it seems the same as 3440.
With CasperCG 2.1 there is a playback problem with MP4 files rendered with Adobe Premiere.
playback of HD 1080i50 h264 (HD interlaced 12 mbit) clips causes dropped frames.
This is now reported on Github too.
Regards,
Theo Kooijmans
UniversalDV