It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 14:49

USB-C + UltraStudio HD Mini with CasparCG

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

USB-C + UltraStudio HD Mini with CasparCG

Postby Ivobahmanis » 03 May 2017, 09:38

Hello,

I planning to test setup with UltraStudio HD Mini from Blackmagic Design by plugging it in USB-C port. Before I buy it I like to know if CasparCG will recognize UltraStudio as input video same as it does with Blackmagic Decklink products?
Ivobahmanis

Re: USB-C + UltraStudio HD Mini with CasparCG

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 03 May 2017, 20:51

All Decklink/Ultrastudio devices get recognised by CasparCG the same way.

But be aware, the UltraStudio HD Mini is not an USB product, it is in fact Thunderbolt 3.0, on the USB-C socket. So you need Thunderbolt 3 support on your machine.
Jesper Stærkær
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Jesper Stærkær

Postby itod » 06 May 2017, 11:40

This device looks extremely interesting, potentially the ideal output for casparCG. It seems to have everything ever desired for broadcast CG work, without having to fiddle with internal cards, motherboards, cooling, etc:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1335021-REG/blackmagic_design_bdlkulsdminhd_ultrastudio_hd_mini_with.html

If anyone tests laptop with it in key fill/key source configuration, please post the details about laptop model and insights how test went.
itod

Postby Ultravibe » 14 May 2017, 18:23

As long as Caspar use Decklink SDK -> this device should be perfectly recognized. Further more, official site says that device has a simultaneous fill & key - BNC-connectors are named A and B - just like at 4K Extreme. The only difference is that UltraStudio HD Mini don't have a B input (for stereoscopic capture). But that is not nesessary for CG purposes. I plan to buy this device even without a test - this is risk, but my intuition tells that everything will be fine! The only question is to choose proper notebook - it should by i7, nVidia 9series, >=8 Gb RAM and Thunderbolt 3 connector. Can anybody advise me what to choose???
Ultravibe

Postby peteraellig » 15 May 2017, 10:13

Hi Ultravibe
We are running 3 Systems with HP Z-Books. Two with Thunderbolt2 and one with Thunderbolt3.
The last one is a Z-Book3 (T7V63EA), Thunderbolt3 and a AkiTio Thunder3 PCIe Expansion Box (230$ from B&H) with a BM DUO2 Card.
The new Z-Book has a M3000 Quadro. Runs perfect on all channels. The 17" Z-Book3 can also take two additional SSD Drives. Spanned with Raid you get enormous disc rates from them. I only run one as Media and Template drive.
The two older Z-Books are Thunderbolt2, M1000 Quadro and are running Sonnet TB2 PCI Expansion Boxes with Decklink Extreme 4K.
The new TB3 Z-Book runs also the older Sonnet TB2 expansion units with the Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter.
The Z-Books have two graphic cards build in, on Intel Graphic on the mainboard and the additional Quadro Card. Its essential to disable the Intel Graphics in the BIOS, otherwise Caspar takes always the Intel Card.
I try to borrow a UltraStudio HD Mini for testing.
Always be shure to have the ports AND cables with the little flash TB sign! Without that tis only USB-C.
Best,
P.
peteraellig

Postby ian morton » 03 Jun 2017, 08:15

I'm using the ultrastudio hd mini with version 10.9 of the Decklink software. Gives key and fill , no problems. I bought the teradek front panel so I can see the output, but the front panel keys don't seem to be enabled yet. I heard it might in the next version of the drivers. Adding the front panel covers the blue 'connected' light sadly. Driving it from a ZBook 3 with M3000, had to update the thunderbolt drivers to get connection.

I would be interested to hear if anyone is doing animated pages with the smaller 15" version, which is much lighter, but only has M1000 graphics.
ian morton

Postby peteraellig » 04 Jun 2017, 21:05

we have a 15" thunderbolt zbook / M1100 running a decklink extreme 4k. its running perfect.
if you want, send me an example template, you wonder if it works. i can test it.
peteraellig

Postby ian morton » 17 Jun 2017, 22:31

What config are you using to get a key and fill? I can't seem to get that right. Just testing on a Dell XPS 15, 4 core, GTX1050 graphics. Feels quick.
ian morton

Postby didikunz » 18 Jun 2017, 11:04

ian morton wrote:What config are you using to get a key and fill? I can't seem to get that right. Just testing on a Dell XPS 15, 4 core, GTX1050 graphics. Feels quick.

Enable external key in the config.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby ian morton » 18 Jun 2017, 12:03

I thought that I had this working the other day, but have now installed on a new Windows 10 laptop (OK?). Just copying the standard config, but I'm not even getting a video out now. I have tested another CG, Titler Pro and get fill and key from the Ultrastudio HD Mini, so the connections look good. Could I just check on the BlackMagic utility, I have 'Use SDI Level A' checked and am using 'Single Link' rather than 'Dual Link'. Latest BM 10.9.3 tools, with Caspar 2.0.7 server.

Code: Select all
  <channels>
    <channel>
        <video-mode>1080i5000</video-mode>
        <consumers>
          <screen>
            <device>1</device>
          </screen>
            <decklink>
              <device>[1..]</device>
              <key-device>device + 1 [1..]</key-device>
              <embedded-audio>false [true|false]</embedded-audio>
              <channel-layout>stereo [mono|stereo|dts|dolbye|dolbydigital|smpte|passthru]</channel-layout>
              <latency>normal [normal|low|default]</latency>
              <keyer>external [external|external_separate_device|internal|default]</keyer>
              <key-only>false [true|false]</key-only>
              <buffer-depth>3 [1..]</buffer-depth>
              <custom-allocator>true [true|false]</custom-allocator>
          </decklink>
          <system-audio />
        </consumers>
    </channel>
  </channels>
ian morton

Postby ian morton » 18 Jun 2017, 13:01

Sorry, I must be losing grip....I removed the options in the config and all is working!

Needed to have the 'Dual Link' option set.

Will test on a project this week, using my favourite new laptop, Dell XPS 15, 4 core and gfx 1050 chip. Very portable with the Blackmagic box and thunderbolt.

Thanks for your help.
ian morton

Postby TheYouth » 18 Jun 2017, 19:52

I´m planing to use an Lenovo P50 Notebook which has Thunderbolt 3. Any recommends on a good Thunderbolt 3 - Thunderbolt 2 adapter? (I have only Thunderbolt 2 Blackmagic devices here)
TheYouth

Return to General discussions