It is currently 24 Jun 2017, 07:57

My last day at SVT

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

My last day at SVT

Postby Helge Norberg » 25 Apr 2017, 18:28

Hi,

Nothing lasts forever and it is now time for me and SVT to go our separate ways. It has been an interesting journey throughout the years, with nice contributions and overall a great learning experience for me.

In the process of clearing my desk I have created branches for stuff on my hard drive worth continuing with:

I wish you all the best of luck in the continued development of CasparCG.

Best
Helge Norberg
Helge Norberg

Re: My last day at SVT

Postby Armin Hafizovic » 25 Apr 2017, 18:46

Hello!

I must start to thank you Helge for everything, for the great job you have done for SVT and for CasparCG and for just being such good friend! I will skip all smiley's because I know that you're not a fan of them but I'm really happy for you and I wish you all luck!

SVT is currently looking for a new employee who can take off where Helge left off and become the new Lead developer for CasparCG Server at SVT.

Meanwhile the recruitment is going on, Niklas Andersson who developed the absolutely first version of CasparCG Server will from time to time work as CasparCG Server developer.

SVT is 100% committed to CasparCG project and we have no plans to make a special fork of the project or put the project on ice. We will continue with our commitment and development, just so you know!

/Armin
Armin Hafizovic
CasparCG Client Lead developer at SVT
Armin Hafizovic

Postby didikunz » 25 Apr 2017, 20:13

Hej Helge,

where do you go to? It's a pitty that we never meet in person. Do you stay in the broadcast business?

All the best for you! And thank you very much. Hej do!
Didi
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby Helge Norberg » 25 Apr 2017, 20:25

Hi Didi,

Yes it would have been nice to meet you.

I am going to a consultant firm. Still the same occupation (Software Developer), but with different programming domains than broadcast.
Helge Norberg

Postby ASmith3006 » 26 Apr 2017, 08:56

I'd like to add my thanks and appreciation for what you've done. It's a huge achievement and something to be extremely proud of.

I wish you the best of luck in your new position, but secretly also hope you go back :)
ASmith3006

Postby jackreynolds » 26 Apr 2017, 12:07

Thank you for all you've added to this project Helge. Best wishes!
jackreynolds

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 26 Apr 2017, 13:43

Thank you for a great job Helge. Best of luck, hope to cross paths with you again soon.
Jesper Stærkær
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Jesper Stærkær

Postby ASmith3006 » 08 May 2017, 16:08

From a selfish perspective, what impact is this likely to have on the project? I don't know anything about the team who work on this, is this a major blow to the future of CasparCG?
ASmith3006

Postby didikunz » 08 May 2017, 17:50

ASmith3006 wrote:From a selfish perspective, what impact is this likely to have on the project? I don't know anything about the team who work on this, is this a major blow to the future of CasparCG?

No, just a friend leaving. Bad for people, but not for the project.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby Theo » 16 May 2017, 10:29

Hi Helge,
It's not bad to switch to new a challenge from time to time.....
Good luck with your new job and thanks for the great work you have done with CasperCG!
Regards,
Theo Kooijmans
UniversalDV
Theo

Postby Sesse » 31 May 2017, 17:11

No, just a friend leaving. Bad for people, but not for the project.

I have to wonder… is this really so? In the month that has gone by since Helge's departure, the following has happened in the CasparCG Server GitHub project:

• 0 commits
  • 0 bugs closed or otherwise responded to by an admin
  • 0 pull requests merged or otherwise responded to by an admin
Does SVT have a clear timeline for when a new lead developer will be hired? Presumably that person would also need to spend some time getting up-to-speed, even more so as the window for knowledge transfer has passed.
Sesse

Postby Armin Hafizovic » 01 Jun 2017, 08:51

Hello!

In my opinion this is quite normal!
When somebody quits a job there is a natural gap within a project until a new person is hired. Helge was the third lead developer of CasparCG Server and there will be more to come! With that said:

SVT is still and will be committed to the CasparCG project. SVT has absolutely no plans to make any internal fork or put it on ice just to clarify.

For the moment we are looking for a new CasparCG developer to fill the gap, and we're working on it but it takes some time as everything else does, right? Meanwhile the activity that you refer to will be lower and the commit frequency will be lower, but that's nothing strange with that! It's normal.

As I wrote in an earlier reply:
Armin Hafizovic wrote:Meanwhile the recruitment is going on, Niklas Andersson who developed the absolutely first version of CasparCG Server will from time to time work as CasparCG Server developer.

And what to remember also is that the founder of CasparCG (Olle Soprani) is still a big part of the project at SVT and works with it on daily basis.

Best,
Armin Hafizovic
Armin Hafizovic
Armin Hafizovic

Postby didikunz » 01 Jun 2017, 11:15

I fully agree with you, Armin.

Armin Hafizovic wrote:And what to remember also is that the founder of CasparCG (Olle Soprani) is still a big part of the project at SVT and works with it on daily basis.

To give credit to whom it belongs, there is also Jonas Hummelstrand who is responsible for the fact, that CasparCG got open sourced and so made possible, that we can do what we do. So without Olle the project would not be started and without Jonas we would probably never heared anything about it. :)
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby Armin Hafizovic » 01 Jun 2017, 13:10

didikunz wrote:I fully agree with you, Armin.

Armin Hafizovic wrote:And what to remember also is that the founder of CasparCG (Olle Soprani) is still a big part of the project at SVT and works with it on daily basis.

To give credit to whom it belongs, there is also Jonas Hummelstrand who is responsible for the fact, that CasparCG got open sourced and so made possible, that we can do what we do. So without Olle the project would not be started and without Jonas we would probably never heared anything about it. :)

Indeed Didi! :)
Armin Hafizovic
Armin Hafizovic

Postby Sesse » 01 Jun 2017, 17:07

Armin Hafizovic wrote:Hello!
In my opinion this is quite normal!
When somebody quits a job there is a natural gap within a project until a new person is hired. Helge was the third lead developer of CasparCG Server and there will be more to come!

What? No, this isn't how things work. When someone announces their intention to quit, you start looking for someone to hire (sometimes internally) so that they can work together with the old person in the transition period. I've never heard of a software project lying on the floor before just because a developer leaves.

SVT is still and will be committed to the CasparCG project. SVT has absolutely no plans to make any internal fork or put it on ice just to clarify.

For the moment we are looking for a new CasparCG developer to fill the gap, and we're working on it but it takes some time as everything else does, right?

I'm still curious about the timeline, though. :-)
Sesse

Postby k0d » 01 Jun 2017, 17:42

If the person leaving has vacation available, it's possible they will take that in/as their notice period. As Armin has mentioned multiple times, Niklas Andersson will work from time to time on the CasparCG server project.

It can't be assumed that SVT has the resources to throw at this project to support it's 'open-source' life, in fact, it's open-source. Which means that anyone can commit code, fix bugs etc, and if it's critical then I'm sure SVT would bring in the pull request. But even then, it's possible to compile the code yourself if you need some particular code running in your system.

I'm sure you wish that SVT will hire the best/right developer to fill the gap, as Armin said, that takes time. I'd suggest that if you feel there is an important bug that needs fixed during this transition period, you bring it to SVT's attention. I guess a PM to Armin would be a good start there!

motto.jpg
motto.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 910 times
k0d

Postby didikunz » 02 Jun 2017, 11:05

didikunz wrote:To give credit to whom it belongs, there is also Jonas Hummelstrand who is responsible for the fact, that CasparCG got open sourced and so made possible, that we can do what we do.

I learned today, that my statement does not reflect the history right. It was Olle nagging at his bosses to get it to be open source and Jonas was the creater and manager of the website that made it known by us all.

I am still happy to be part of this comunity!
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 02 Jun 2017, 15:06

Sesse makes some good points. And it all boils down to resources. Ideally the project would open for external maintainers, but someone needs to invest time and energy in organising and keeping it all together. You can't just open the gates and go truly open-open source on this, can you?
Jesper Stærkær
Jesper Stærkær

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 02 Jun 2017, 15:10

That being said, it is a paradox and an ongoing downwards spiral that external PRs don't get reviewed and merged. It discourages new contributions. Sadly, I can't do anything myself other than stating the obvious, as I don't have the skills to join the development nor governing of the repo. But keep in mind, that the ever growing issue with the outdated CEF version would have been solved by externals a long time a go, have the project been more actively including the community contributions. This is also true for other forks out there, enabling native NDI, Matrox support, better streaming capabilities, long GOP seeking etc etc etc. Good feature branches that never touch the master.
Jesper Stærkær
Jesper Stærkær

Postby itod » 03 Jun 2017, 19:10

Jesper Stærkær wrote:But keep in mind, that the ever growing issue with the outdated CEF version would have been solved by externals a long time a go, have the project been more actively including the community contributions.

+1!

Jesper Stærkær wrote:This is also true for other forks out there, enabling native NDI, Matrox support, better streaming capabilities, long GOP seeking etc etc etc. Good feature branches that never touch the master.

+1

Also worth mentioning the EVS-replacement fork (http://casparcg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1310) who's contributor Jstar worked really hard to enable easy pull to the master repository, and his efforts were never regarded even with the comment from maintainers.

With all this negative being said, let me state how grateful I am to SVT and CasparCG developers for creating this software. It enabled me to do some projects which had no chance being successful if CasparCG never existed.
itod

Postby Armin Hafizovic » 07 Jun 2017, 08:01

Sesse wrote:What? No, this isn't how things work. When someone announces their intention to quit, you start looking for someone to hire (sometimes internally) so that they can work together with the old person in the transition period. I've never heard of a software project lying on the floor before just because a developer leaves.

Nobody has said that we haven't started to look for a new developer when Helge announced he will quit?
I'm getting a feeling that you assume that SVT has enormous resources dedicated to only CasparCG development? I can tell you that it's not like that at all, just so you know. And I think it's really important to everyone to know.

I said earlier, SVT is and will still be committed to CasparCG to 100% and still continue to use and contribute to the branch(es) on GitHub. SVT does not have any internal fork or something like that, what's on GitHub is what's in use.

Any kind of contributions are welcome and appreciated, no matter if it's code, documentation or support, it's an open source-project! :-)

I'm still curious about the timeline, though. :-)

We're looking into it and as soon as we know anything more we will let you know. I can tell you that as writing this, we have a number of candidates that we will talk to and see where it leads to.

/Armin
Armin Hafizovic
Armin Hafizovic

Return to General discussions