It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 02:57

Temperature data with graphic

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

Temperature data with graphic

Postby khogan1784 » 06 Jan 2017, 22:04

Hello, I am trying to figure out if i can take a rs232 data signal and create a temperature bug for our station ID. Not sure how this works. but if someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great!
khogan1784

Re: Temperature data with graphic

Postby didikunz » 06 Jan 2017, 23:33

Do you know a little programming? You would build a little program, that reads the RS-232 feed and sends the temerature to a template running in Caspar.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby khogan1784 » 09 Jan 2017, 19:36

Has anyone already done this?
khogan1784

Postby AVID_Eng » 10 Jan 2017, 04:25

You can use this Javascript library https://realterm.sourceforge.io/ to monitor your RS232 port and write the result to a .txt or .html file.
WebCG is a framework capable of generating dynamic HTML templates for CasparCG.
AVID_Eng

Postby thoeby » 02 Apr 2017, 03:29

We are currently planing to Show Data from a Fitbit-Tracker. At the moment the Plan is to get the Date from the API, store it to an SQL Database, load the Data to the HTML Template via E2C, controll the Data->Template insert via JavaScript.

I'am a webdev...so its easier for me to do it this way but if you have some coding skills (C, Python,...) its probably easier than having a full-stack webserver just to save the data and another NodeJS Server just to insert the data.
thoeby

Postby balte » 02 Apr 2017, 08:26

thoeby wrote:We are currently planing to Show Data from a Fitbit-Tracker. At the moment the Plan is to get the Date from the API, store it to an SQL Database, load the Data to the HTML Template via E2C, controll the Data->Template insert via JavaScript.

I'am a webdev...so its easier for me to do it this way but if you have some coding skills (C, Python,...) its probably easier than having a full-stack webserver just to save the data and another NodeJS Server just to insert the data.

Even for a webdeveloper it seems easier to set up node.js with NeDB. You can poll the API using node, and you can send AMCP template data via node.js as well. This eliminates the need for double servers.

More relevant for the OP, node.js handles serial data really well, I've used rs232 to send commands with it before. I never took the time to parse incoming data though, but it should be doable! rs232 adapters are very cheap as well when you order them on aliexpress.
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek - Sometimes, I do get payed for this stuff.
balte

Return to General discussions