It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 02:50

Multitasking with CCG

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

Multitasking with CCG

Postby jackreynolds » 21 Aug 2016, 02:44

If, for instance, we get a Decklink Duo 2, what would it take to make CCG "multitask" with it? Here is something we're working on (for american football):

1. Key + Fill out for main graphics feeds (2 out)
2. A straight fill for videos without an alpha channel (1 out)
3. A telestration which works as such (1 in):

A. Take in a Decklink feed into CCG
B. Use the file recorder to record instant replay files
C. Play the files back to a borderless screen consumer
D. Send the screen to the ATEM HDMI input, as the telestrator draws on the screen and not in one application. This will put the finished, telestrated feed on the screen that our anchors can work with.

Now these all can't run on one server. So is there a way to make the server multitask to handle all of this at once? Or does this require different systems.
Could there possibly be multiple servers running on one system? If it is possible, is it possible to get around the IP issues with running multiple servers on the same IP?

This post probably wasn't terribly clear (Its been a long day.) If anything needs clarified please just let me know, thanks much.-
jackreynolds

Re: Multitasking with CCG

Postby didikunz » 21 Aug 2016, 07:06

In theory the server is able to handle all these from the ability to do different things at the same time. I reality you will run into performance problems with your hardware, as the encoding while recording draws a lot of performance. And also the screen consumer is performance hungry. That would not get better, when you try to run multiple servers on one system. They would need to share the hardware.

So it's better to use two systems, one for recording and telestating. Try the Decklink Mini Recorder and Mini Monitor for this, as they have HDMI and so you don't need to use the screen consumer. And the other system, that probably does not need to be as powerfull as the first for the graphics.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby didikunz » 21 Aug 2016, 07:06

In theory the server is able to handle all these from the ability to do different things at the same time. I reality you will run into performance problems with your hardware, as the encoding while recording draws a lot of performance. And also the screen consumer is performance hungry. That would not get better, when you try to run multiple servers on one system. They would need to share the hardware.

So it's better to use two systems, one for recording and telestating. Try the Decklink Mini Recorder and Mini Monitor for this, as they have HDMI and so you don't need to use the screen consumer. And the other system, that probably does not need to be as powerfull as the first for the graphics.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby jackreynolds » 21 Aug 2016, 17:12

We will not be recording and playing back at the same time. The reason we are using the screen consumer is that we are putting it on its own monitor. The feed going to our ATEM is merely acting as a second monitor from our computer. The reason we are not using HDMI through a Decklink is that our telestrator draws on a layer on top of the entire system, over CCG and Windows (it's teamviewer). Now with all that said would this still give issues?
jackreynolds

Postby didikunz » 21 Aug 2016, 17:53

That's an interessting idea, to use TeamViewer to draw on the picture.

It is just the case, that Caspars recording function uses a lot of performance while recording. So, as I understand your first post, you had problems to get everything (recording and graphics) to work simultanious on one machine. So it makes sense to use two, as it's not a problem of the multitasking but of the hardware-performance.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby jackreynolds » 22 Aug 2016, 16:45

Alright thank you. We will be testing the implementation of that three part system over the next year. I'll report on how we got it working.
jackreynolds

Postby jackreynolds » 26 Aug 2016, 01:04

So I successfully have two servers running on the same computer with only one Decklink SDI 4K card. Booting the first one initializes the card and runs normal, the second one initialized the card but disables fill output. Just as I wanted. However my problem right now is control. The 127.0.0.1 client will send commands to only one server, which is great. However I don't know how to specifically address a client to a specific server, since it is all on one IP. I looked into the Preferences > Servers tabs in the client but again, all IP based. Can I specify which client sends to which server on the same machine? Thanks
jackreynolds

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 26 Aug 2016, 11:51

You can change the port used for the AMCP communication between Server and Client. Just change the config file for the server instance, and then make the same change in Client for that particular server instance. That way you can send the same commands to multiple Servers from the same Client.
Jonas Hummelstrand
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Former Community Manager for CasparCG

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby jackreynolds » 26 Aug 2016, 11:55

Will test that today, thank you Jonas

Edit: Worked perfectly.
jackreynolds

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 29 Aug 2016, 14:05

Good to hear, Jack! Let me know if there's anything else!
Jonas Hummelstrand
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Former Community Manager for CasparCG

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby jackreynolds » 28 Nov 2016, 04:23

So after testing for some time in broadcast, we are running into some issues. When recording on one server, the playout server runs into issues. It is not what one would normally think however, as it does not crash. Instead, it seems like the Flash producer is crashing. Everything will continue to work, but Flash layers will fail to update. This is only an issue when recording on the secondary server. Does anyone have an idea as to why this could happen?
jackreynolds

Postby didikunz » 28 Nov 2016, 10:36

jackreynolds wrote:So after testing for some time in broadcast, we are running into some issues. When recording on one server, the playout server runs into issues. It is not what one would normally think however, as it does not crash. Instead, it seems like the Flash producer is crashing. Everything will continue to work, but Flash layers will fail to update. This is only an issue when recording on the secondary server. Does anyone have an idea as to why this could happen?

As I said earlier: I don't think it's a good idea to run more than a single server per machine. It looks, from what you write, that they fight for resources.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby jackreynolds » 29 Nov 2016, 13:27

I completely agree, however we only have one Decklink. :/
jackreynolds

Return to General discussions