It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 02:48

CasparCG computer recommendations?

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

CasparCG computer recommendations?

Postby ashowstack » 04 Mar 2013, 22:50

Hello all,

Through the assistance of Vimlesh, a CasparCG Forum Member, I've downloaded both the CasparCG Server and Client and learned the basics. He's been incredibly helpful thus far.

I'm looking to do multi-camera HD sports productions with the ATEM 1/ME broadcast switcher, while using CasparCG for the graphics. I am also planning to stream the games live on the internet.

I looked at the computer requirements and recommendations on the CasparCG website, and I'm somewhat confused. The requirements are much less involved than the recommendations. My original thought was that I could purchase the Decklink Card HD 3D card along with a $600 or so computer to run CasparCG. Is this incorrect?, as the "Recommendations" based on the CasparCG site would cost me approximately $3,000+ which is way out of my price range. I'm sure there has to be a much less expensive way to go.

I already purchased the Black Magic Decklink HD 3D Card for the CasparCG. Can someone please let me know what additional items/computer specs are needed for my particular application to run CasparCG smoothly? Please be specific. I don't need top of the line everything, but something that will be solid so I don't have to worry about it going down during a live production. Hope this makes sense.

Also, aside from the Caspar CG Client and Server, I would be installing Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 bit), Adobe Flash Professional CS6 and Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2. So I'll need a computer that can run these programs as well, with storage. And as mentioned, I'm looking to stream the games live as well.

I am also looking for an additional computer to run the Atem 1/ME Broadcast switcher display, and I'm not sure if it makes sense to have the computer that's running the Atem 1 be the computer to use for live streaming as well.

I Produce and Direct the games, but unfortunately do not have very much technical knowledge on the computer side of things. I just know that I'll need 2 computers, but just don't know exactly what the computers need.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

- Arlen
ashowstack

Re: CasparCG Computer?

Postby didikunz » 05 Mar 2013, 09:10

ashowstack wrote:I looked at the computer requirements and recommendations on the CasparCG website, and I'm somewhat confused. The requirements are much less involved than the recommendations. My original thought was that I could purchase the Decklink Card HD 3D card along with a $600 or so computer to run CasparCG. Is this incorrect?, as the "Recommendations" based on the CasparCG site would cost me approximately $3,000+ which is way out of my price range. I'm sure there has to be a much less expensive way to go.

The discrepancy between requirements and recomendations comes from the fact, that you can run CasparCG on a lower end machine, if it meets the requirements, but you will not be able to do the fancy stuff like playing multiple HD clips including key and the like. So if you only need to do Flash templates for lower thirds an sports scores, you can use a lower end machine. I would try to spend as much money as possible for a good nVidia GPU and as much RAM, as possible (under Windows 7 64-bit there is no 3GB limit)

ashowstack wrote:Also, aside from the Caspar CG Client and Server, I would be installing Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 bit), Adobe Flash Professional CS6 and Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2. So I'll need a computer that can run these programs as well, with storage. And as mentioned, I'm looking to stream the games live as well.

Flash Media Encoder needs a lot of raw CPU power. So it could interfere with CasparCG. Thats why I would use one computer for CasparCG and the other for Flash Media Encoder. You will also need a Decklink (or something else) as a input for Media Encoder.

ashowstack wrote:I am also looking for an additional computer to run the Atem 1/ME Broadcast switcher display, and I'm not sure if it makes sense to have the computer that's running the Atem 1 be the computer to use for live streaming as well.

The ATEM panel software does not draw much computing power, so it would make sense to install it on one of the two computers. Probablly it would make sense to use the CasparCG machine for it, because, with a fat nVidia graphics card you get a better screen resolution for the ATEM panel, than on the encoder, where you may get away with mainboard graphics.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 05 Mar 2013, 09:27

Flash templates can be a bottleneck, as each template can only use one CPU core, so get a CPU that is as fast as you can afford. Don't be fooled by numbers; for example, and i5 @3 GHz is probably slower than an i7 @2.8 GHz.

Video codecs that support alpha channel tend to produce large files, which requires fast media. An alternative is to use alpha-less codecs such as H.264 and then use CasparCG Server's built-in functionality of using a separate alpha video file.
Fill: movie.mp4
Alpha: movie_a.mp4
Jonas Hummelstrand
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Former Community Manager for CasparCG

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 05 Mar 2013, 20:13

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input.

Below you will see a few options that I had a company put together for me. Can you please look them over, and if you see where I may be able to save on costs, please let me know. I'll be using Flash for templates for lower thirds and score bars. I may also have some animated video brought in to key as well. I want to make sure these options are not overkill. Thanks.

- Arlen
Attachments
CasparCG Computer Build 3.JPG
Option 3)
CasparCG Computer Build 3.JPG (119.16 KiB) Viewed 16882 times
CasparCG Computer Build 2.JPG
Option 2)
CasparCG Computer Build 2.JPG (123.53 KiB) Viewed 16882 times
CasparCG Computer Build 1.JPG
Option 1)
CasparCG Computer Build 1.JPG (126.14 KiB) Viewed 16882 times
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 05 Mar 2013, 22:21

We don't have any experience with those GPUs, so we can't really comment on them. I can't imagine building any machine without an SSD for at least booting. Having a second SSD for videos is also recommended.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby Robert Nagy » 05 Mar 2013, 22:34

Jonas Hummelstrand wrote:We don't have any experience with those GPUs, so we can't really comment on them. I can't imagine building any machine without an SSD for at least booting. Having a second SSD for videos is also recommended.

One SSD would be enough for both OS and video, assuming that the storage is large enough.
CasparCG Integrator, Developer and Consultant
Former CasparCG Lead Developer
Feel free to contact me (ronag@live.com) if you need any CasparCG related support, development or other consulting.
Robert Nagy

Postby didikunz » 05 Mar 2013, 22:56

I would try with Option 1 (the most expensive).

What do you need the '150$ value in-game coin coupon'? Also be sure, that the CPU really comes without cooler, so probablly you don't need the extra cooler.

The GPU at least supports OpenGL 4.3. So this should work. Be aware, that the ASRock motherboard only supports two memmory banks. Intel i7 CPU's can operate faster with three banks. So it is kind of a low end system, but that was the idea, if I understand you right.

As a conclusion, let me say, that I think, this system can work with CasparCG, but I cannot give you any waranties. And as Jonas said, a SSD for video would be cool, but can be added at a later date.

In your spec you have 3HD's so you probablly will make a system disk and a RAID0 for video. I personally always make the system disk a RAID1. So you would need one more HD, but I'm not sure if the motherboard has support for 4 drives setup as two different RAID's.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby ashowstack » 06 Mar 2013, 21:31

Thanks guys for your input.

I'm in contact now with a Computer Tech from my area who will assist in building a computer. I passed on the Specs as well as your updated suggestions. As soon as he comes up with an updated build scheme based on your suggestions, I will send it along to you for a final lookover prior to purchasing the components. I just want to play safe, as opposed to having a computer built that may not work well with CasparCG.

Thanks again,

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 06 Mar 2013, 22:40

Make sure your motherboard supports at least two 16x PCI-e cards simultaneously. We had to return HP Z210 workstations that couldn't run more than one GPU and one BMD card at the same time. It had three 16x slots, but could only run two simultaneously.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

CasparCG Computer Update...

Postby ashowstack » 19 Mar 2013, 18:52

Hi Guys,

I just want to let you know where I'm at in terms of the Computer Build to run CasparCG.

Thus far I have purchased the following items:

Intel Core i7 Processor (i7-3770K LGA1155)
Intel Desktop MotherBoard (DZ77Sl-50K)
16GB Kingston Memory (MEM 8Gx2|KHX KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G R)
Decklink HD Extreme 3D Plus
OCZ ZT Series Power Supply 750W
(2) 1 TB WD Black Desktop Internal Drives (SATA 6 Gb/s)
(2) Sandisk SSD Extreme 240GB
Samsung WriteMaster DVD Multi-Recorder

I may return 1 of the 1 TB WD internal drives as I don't intend to store much video on this computer.

Aside from the Computer Case, fans, Keyboard and Mouse, are there any additional items I'll need aside from the CasparCG Software and a nice monitor?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm looking to stream live Sports in HD format. Should I do so through this computer, wIll I need another Video Card in addition to the Decklink HD Extreme that I already own? If I end up using a laptop to stream the HD content, will I still need another Video Card in this computer? In any case, I don't have the budget for another Decklink HD Extreme, so it would have to be a less expensive card.

Also, should I just go with 1 monitor for the CasparCG Client and Server?

In terms of programs, I'll be installing:
Adobe Flash Professional
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2 (though as mentioned, I may stream through the laptop controlling the ATEM 1).

Please feel free to chime in. I just want to make sure that I'll have everything I'll need for my application.

Thanks again,

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 19 Mar 2013, 19:24

What graphics card did you get? You didn't list any...

What do you mean when you say "stream?" CasparCG Server 2.x does not have any feature to receive or send network video streams, you are aware of that I hope? There are a few modifications made to allow simple streaming output that can be found in the forum, but these are not official and have not been used in real production (at least to my knowledge.)

If you need video input into CasparCG Server 2.x, many have used the simpler BlackMagic Design cards. I just added links to a large table with the video card capabilities, it's in the wiki under System Recommendations.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 19 Mar 2013, 20:02

Hello Jonas,

Sorry for the confusion. My plan is to use this computer to run the CasparCG software, then send the continually updated Rundown templates from my Client through the Decklink HD Extreme to the ATEM 1 Switcher as a source and key in graphics. Hope this makes sense. In terms of the Streaming, I would be taking the final Program output off the ATEM 1 then run it to a laptop or to this computer to stream. Though more likely to a laptop to stream the video live online.

Also, I guess I may be confused. I was under the impression that the Decklink card was the Video Card. If not, will I need to purchase one for the computer that runs the CasparCG software? And if so, what do you think of the one below:

EVGA GTX Superclocked O2G-P4-2662-KR (N82E16814130826) $229

Also, will the laptop require a video card to stream live?

Again, just wish I understood computers a bit more.

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby ashowstack » 19 Mar 2013, 20:05

Also Jonas, I will probably input video into the CasparCG server. Which Black Magic Design card would you suggest if I go the Black Magic route?

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby didikunz » 19 Mar 2013, 21:10

You could use the DeckLink Studio (1in) or Duo (2in) or Quad (4in).
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 19 Mar 2013, 21:22

Have you looked at the System Requirements and recommendations in the wiki? It was just updated with a link to a large table with supported video cards.

In the System Requirements you can also see that you will need an Nvidia graphics card capable of OpenGL 3.0 or later. You may be confusing a SDI/HDMI "video card" with a "graphics card" (which is often called "video card" just to confuse you!) CasparCG Server 2.0 won't start without a supported graphics card. Again, check the wiki!
Is "EVGA GTX Superclocked O2G-P4-2662-KR" a GTX 660? That should work, but the graphics card we recommend is Quadro 2000.

Live video input (fill only) can be done with all supported BMD cards. Some have only SDI, others have only HDMI, some let you chose between the two...

Outputting fill (visible image) and key (alpha channel) via SDI into your ATEM vision mixer via a DeckLink HD extreme 3D is the recommended way of doing it, so that sounds great!
However, once you have the final composite of video, graphics and audio in the ATEM, I can't help you how to stream. I'm not familiar with the Flash Media Encoder.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 19 Mar 2013, 23:10

Hi Jonas,

I just looked over the enormous list of supported graphic cards and its overwhelming.

With the components I have:

Which Quadro 2000 graphic card will be compatible? I noticed that different companies make it, and I want to make sure I purchase the correct one that is compatible with my system. There are also huge price differences. For example, the one you are using is over $600, though there are other Quadro 2000 ones that are around $300. Also, if I were to go the Black Magic graphic card route, which exact model would you suggest will function like the Quadro 2000?

Would I be taking a chance on the one I suggested in an earlier post...EVGA GTX...2662?
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 19 Mar 2013, 23:26

You are still confusing the two totally different types of cards!

1. A graphics card (also called GPU or confusing enough video card) is what is used to display your windows and your mouse cursor on your computer monitor/display. Every computer has a graphics card (even though some processors now have an integrated graphics card in the processor case.) Uses VGA, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connectors.
The graphics card is really fast at graphics operations (such as games) and it is used by CasparCG Server for real-time effects and for compositing several layers into one output. CasparCG Server 2.0.x won't run without a supported graphics card.
Quadro-2000.jpg
Nvidia Quadro 2000 GRAPHICS card
Quadro-2000.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 16705 times

2. A video card is used for input and/or output of analog and/or digital video and audio into/out of your computer. This is typically connected with SDI or HDMI.
If you don't need to input live video, and you don't need to output SDI/HDMI to a vision mixer or similar equipment, you don't need a video card with CasparCG Server. You can just output to the monitor(s) connected to your computer's graphics card!
DeckLink_HD_Extreme_3D.jpg
BlackMagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme 3D VIDEO card
DeckLink_HD_Extreme_3D.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 16705 times
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 19 Mar 2013, 23:30

Which model of a Quadro 2000 card you get doesn't matter much, but I'd recommend getting one with at least 2 GB of VRAM. You could also get an Nvidia GTX 6xx card, and it should work, but please understand that we can only recommend the specific hardware we run in 24/7 production (the hardware listed in the wiki.)
HP's Quadro cards can be bought with extended warranty and next day on-site service and other things that you may not want to pay for...

So, looking at video cards in the table of supported video cards if you need to add input video to the system:
The cheapest internal video card for input video you can get is probably an BMD DeckLink SDI or if you have HDMI live input, a BMD DeckLink Studio.

That motherboard also has USB 3.0, so you could even get an external video card in the Intensity range.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Re: CasparCG computer recommendations?

Postby ashowstack » 20 Mar 2013, 03:17

Hi Jonas,

I found the below Quadro 2000 card for $399, still a bit pricey for me, but I certainly want to play safe that whatever card I end up purchasing will work well.
- NVIDIA® Quadro® K2000 VCQK2000-PB 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card

I also found this GTX card for $372:
- PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card

Aside from the fact you are using the Quadro 2000 and its tested, which is the overall better card? And which one would you go with?

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 20 Mar 2013, 08:17

How will you be using your CasparCG Server? We use our 50+ machines in 24/7 production and have not had a single failure in a Quadro 2000 card so far. The GTX line is meant for gamers and home use, and you are more likely to get higher performance for lower price. The GTX 670 is a much faster card for both DirectX (games) and CUDA (graphics processing in certain graphics programs such as After Effects 3D rendering, Premiere Pro, and certain 3D rendered such as Octane) but not much difference for OpenGL which is what CasparCG Server 2.x uses.
But the GTX cards are not recommended for continuous use.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 20 Mar 2013, 13:20

For this computer build, it's mainly to run CasparCG. I'll be using it along with the Atem 1 for mostly multi-camera sports coverage. I'll be keying in and updating on the fly - scorebars, lower 3rds and stats pages. In addition, I plan to import some 30 second clips into the Rundown such as an animated show Open. Its possible that some of the flash templates may include short animated transitions as well.

In addition, I will be installing Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, Adobe After Effects CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Flash Professional CS6. So I may do a bit of editing as well and or Template creation. (I have a separate computer that I currently do all my video editing on, so as mentioned the new computer build will be mainly used for CasparCG).

I'll be running the new Computer at various job locations/sports venues a few times per week (hopefully). The computer will only be running during productions and or short editing or creating templates. So it will never be on 24/7 as your computers are.

With this above knowledge, which card do you believe would better suit my needs: The Quadro 2000 or the GTX670? Both with 2gb. Certainly the stability is key with the graphic card as well, especially on jobs. Also, if there may be a different specific card you would suggest based on this new knowlege of my CasparCG use, please let me know.

Thanks,

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 20 Mar 2013, 13:26

If you let CasparCG Server decide on a graphics card, it would choose Quadro base on reliability and that it was developed and tested on that exact card.
The other applications you mention would be happier with the GTX 670, both for the price and for the CUDA performance.

That is all the advice I can give...
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 21 Mar 2013, 17:36

Hi Jonas,

I was just about to order the Graphics Card, but just want to confirm that the Quadro K2000 is the same as the Quadro 2000 and is the recommended card. The one I am about to purchase is below. Please check the specs on the Quadro K2000 to be sure.

Here it is:

NVIDEA Quadro K2000 VCQK2000-PBS 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 X16 Workstation Video Card
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 21 Mar 2013, 22:48

The Quadro K2000 is a newer generation. It should be better, but we haven't tried it.
Can't find any comparisons on OpenGL performance, but here's a chart: http://www.nvidia.com/content/quadro/pd ... B13_HR.pdf
Also: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6813/nvid ... 2000d-k600
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 22 Mar 2013, 01:06

Hi Jonas,

Here is more information on the Quadro K2000.

I'd like to place my order today, but just want to confirm that you believe this will work well with CasparCG.

NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB Graphics

Models
NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB Graphics
C2J93AA
Introduction
The NVIDIA Quadro K2000 graphics board is a single slot PCI Express add-in card based on the new NVIDIA Kepler architecture graphics processing unit (GPU). The Quadro K2000 graphics board is an excellent choice for medium complexity designs and models in professional CAD, M&E and visualization applications.

Performance and Features
Comprehensive ISV certifications for professional environments
Ultra-efficient 51W maximum power provides industry leading performance/watt results.
2 GB of blazing GDDR5 memory
Attach up to 4 active digital monitors using DisplayPort daisy chaining monitors or by a DisplayPort hub device.
Direct attach up to 3 active monitors using all available display connectors on the Quadro K2000
Latest graphics API's supported including OpenGL 4.3 and CUDA 5.0[/b]
Windows 8 compliant
NVIDIA Mosaic Technology enabled
NVIDIA nView™ multi-display management
Compatibility
The Quadro K2000 is supported on the following HP Personal Workstations:
Z820, Z620, Z420, Z220
Service and Support
The NVIDIA Quadro K2000 has a one-year limited warranty or the remainder of the warranty of the HP product in which it is installed. Technical support is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day by phone, as well as online support forums. Parts and labor are available on-site within the next business day. Telephone support is available for parts diagnosis and installation. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.

Overview Technical Specifications
Technical Specifications

Form Factor 4.38" H x 7.97" L
Single Slot, Full Height
Graphics Controller NVIDIA Quadro K2000 Graphics Card
Kepler GK107 GPU
384 CUDA cores
Max Power: 51.1 Watts
Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 x16
Memory 2 GB GDDR5, 2000 Mhz
128-bit memory I/O path
64 GB/s memory bandwidth
Connectors 1 DL-DVI(I) output, 2 DisplayPort outputs
CTO: No video cable adapter included
AMO: One DP-to-DVI adapter included with card
Additional DVI-to-VGA, DisplayPort-to-VGA or DisplayPort-to-DVI adapters are available as accessories

Maximum Resolution DisplayPort:
- up to 3840 x 2160 x 30 bpp @ 60Hz
- supports High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) and Multi-Stream Transport (MST)
DL-DVI(I) output:
- up to 2560 x 1600 x 32 bpp @ 60Hz

Image Quality Features 10-bit internal display processing pipeline
10-bit scan-out support
Display Output VGA:
- requires use of DVI-to-VGA and/or DP-to-VGA video cable adapters
- 400 Mhz integrated RAMDAC
- Max resolution: 2048 x 1536 x 32 bpp @ 85 Hz
DL-DVI(I):
- Max resolution: 2560 x 1600 x 32 bpp @ 60 Hz

SL-DVI(I):
- Max resolution: 1920 x 1200 x 32 bpp @ 60 Hz

DisplayPort:
- Supports HBR2 and MST
- Max resolution: 3840 x 2160 x 30 bpp @ 60 Hz (only one monitor can be connected to a Quadro K2000 DisplayPort connector at this resolution)
- Max number of DisplayPort daisy-chained monitors or hub connected monitors from a single Quadro K2000 DisplayPort connector: 4 with maximum resolution of 1920 x 1200

Maximum number of monitors across all available Quadro K2000 outputs is 4.

Shading Architecture Full Microsoft DirectX 11 Shader Model 5.0
Supported Graphics APIs OpenGL 4.3
DirectX 11
API support includes:
CUDA C, CUDA C++, DirectCompute 5.0, OpenCL, Java, Python, and Fortran
Available Graphics Drivers
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Windows 8 (China) 64-bit
Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64-bit and 32-bit)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5 Desktop/Workstation (64-bit)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux(RHEL) 6 Desktop/Workstation
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (64-bit)

HP qualified drivers may be preloaded or available from the HP support Web site:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

SUSE Linux Enterprise drivers may also be obtained from: ftp://download.nvidia.com/novell or http://www.nvidia.com

Notes
Quadro K2000 offered as CTO does not include a video cable adapter. Video cable adapters must be ordered separately.
Quadro K2000 offered as AMO includes one DP-to-DVI video cable adapter. Additional cables must be ordered separately.
Quadro K2000 is Windows 8 Compliant.
A total maximum of 4 active monitors are supported across all display output types. To get 4 monitors, at least one monitor must be daisy chained on a DisplayPort output.
A DisplayPort hub device may be used to connect multiple DisplayPort monitors to a single Quadro K2000 DisplayPort output.
ashowstack

Postby ashowstack » 22 Mar 2013, 03:51

Hi Jonas,

Sorry to be of bother, but were you able to view my last post pertaining to the Quadro K2000?

It does list the following: Latest graphics API's supported including OpenGL 4.3 and CUDA 5.0

So again with this knowledge, would you feel pretty confident this card will work well with CasparCG?

Thanks,

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 22 Mar 2013, 08:51

Here is all the advice I can give you, summarized in one post:
  • You need an Nvidia card capable of running OpenGL 3.0 to run CasparCG Server 2.0.
  • CUDA and newer versions of OpenGL than 3.0 are not used by CasparCG Server 2.0. If your card has those capabilities, the still wont be of any benefit to CasparCG Server 2.0.
  • We have never received any bug reports where anyone has said that CasparCG Server 2.0 didn't work with an Nvidia card capable of OpenGL 3.0. If anyone is having problems they haven't told us or posted in the forum.
  • Our developers are using Quadro 2000 cards in their test machines.
  • All our CasparCG Server 2.0 playout machines (over 30 of them) all have the Quadro 2000 cards in them.

Sorry for not posting earlier, please remember we all live in different time zones.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

CasparCG Computer to Stream HD also?

Postby ashowstack » 25 Mar 2013, 02:31

Hi Jonas,

Just looking for your opinion here.

As a reminder, My plan is to cover sports and use CasparCG for graphics. Can I use this same computer to stream the HD games I'll be covering with the Atem 1 switcher, connected to the computer through the USB 3.0 port?

Again this computer build for CasparCG will have the following components:
NVidea Quadro K2000 Graphics Card (2GB)
Cooler Master HAF XBOX - LAN Case with 4 USB 3.0 ports)
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby iTech » 25 Mar 2013, 05:27

Streaming takes up a lot of CPU processing power especially when you're not using the same input resolution as your stream resolution.
iTech

Postby umek » 25 Mar 2013, 08:58

You need at least Intel(c) Core(tm) i7 2600 just for the encoder to stream HD(720p) + High + Medium + Mobile
Broadcast Live streaming | Video production
www.agatin.hr
umek

Postby ashowstack » 25 Mar 2013, 13:43

Thanks Umek.

I have an Intel Core i7 Processor (i7-3770K)
NVidea Quadro K2000 Graphics Card (2GB)
Cooler Master HAF XBOX - LAN Case with 4 USB 3.0 ports)
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit

The question is whether I can use it for streaming HD content off the program feed off the Atem 1 while using the CasparCG Server and Client off the same computer? Keep in mind, the CasparacG Server and client as well as the HD Streaming would be working simultaneously. Also, would I need another Decklink Card (maybe not as high end) for the HD streaming, as I'll be using the Decklink Extreme HD 3D+ card for getting CasparCG to the Atem?

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 25 Mar 2013, 13:47

What umek is saying that the streaming encoder takes a lot of performance and that it might need a separate machine.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby umek » 25 Mar 2013, 13:51

You will need additional decklink sdi card so you can feed it from Blackmagic TS PGM and use it with encoding software of your choice.

Will it work smoothly? Nobody can say it will or will not.
Casparcg likes to use CPU with flash HD templates so in the crucial moment will the leftover juice from the CPU be enough?
Just test it.
www.agatin.hr
umek

Postby ashowstack » 25 Mar 2013, 14:15

Which additional Decklink SDI card would you suggest? And what is your gut feeling as to whether my CPU will be powerful enough for this? I do have a pretty powerful CPU. Also, any thing in addition I could purchase that would take away some of the workload, for example another 16gb of Ram?

The only reason I'm even considering to go this route is that the Atem 3.0 port that would normally run to a laptop or desktop has had issues with streaming to the best of my knowledge windows 8 and possibly even Windows 7.

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 25 Mar 2013, 14:38

What SDI input card to get? I'll refer again to the table: http://www.editgrid.com/user/hummelstrand/Video_Card_Overview_(CasparCG).html
I would get an SDI card that was tested and used by the developers or at least has been known in the community to work, as you can see from the table.

Will your machine be enough? That's like asking: How long is a piece of string? We have no idea of what kind of video and Flash templates you are going to use. We have no idea of how much performance the streaming is going to take. We have no idea of how much performance the ATEM software takes.

Flash in CasparCG Server 2.0 is single-threaded, so a CPU-heavy template will likely bog down at least one of your cores. You can load Flash into several channels to try to even-out the CPU load. Getting more RAM will not help CasparCG Server, unless your machine is so starved for RAM that the OS and/or CasparCG Server doesn't get the RAM it needs. CasparCG Server 2.0 is a 32-bit process, so it cannot address more than 3 GB. CasparCG Server 2.1 (in pre-alpha stage at the moment) will be 64-bit.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but you will have to bite the bullet and try this out, there is no one that has done the exact same thing you are doing, so no one can guarantee that it will work on just one machine.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby ashowstack » 25 Mar 2013, 15:33

I understand Jonas, especially as it appears no one is doing this exact thing.

Just curious, any idea as to when CasparCG Server 2.1 will be coming out with 64 bit?

- Arlen
ashowstack

Postby Jonas Hummelstrand » 25 Mar 2013, 16:06

ashowstack wrote:Just curious, any idea as to when CasparCG Server 2.1 will be coming out with 64 bit?

CasparCG Server 2.1 is in pre-alpha stage, and we have been concentrating on adding new features to the 2.0 trunk. As soon as we release 2.0.4, work will begin on implementing those additions in 2.1 and getting it read for alpha testing.

The main benefit of being 64-bit will be that you can use much larger buffers. We have rarely (if ever) hit the 32-bit ceiling in terms of RAM, so I don't think it is something that will change the way most people use CasparCG Server. Please plan for having a 64-bit version of Windows 7, though, as CasparCG Server will not run on any 32-bit OS. Windows 8 support has not yet been discussed. Windows XP and Windows Vista will not be tested and probably not supported.
Jonas Hummelstrand

Jonas Hummelstrand

Postby dansarvas » 04 Feb 2015, 21:37

Hello guys, I know this is a old post, but i have a similar doubt. I am mounting a second casparcg machine, and see the new amd firepro, and i want to know if someone have worked with a firepro 5100 or any another amd firepro and casparcg.

Thanks
dansarvas

Postby didikunz » 04 Feb 2015, 22:05

dansarvas wrote:Hello guys, I know this is a old post, but i have a similar doubt. I am mounting a second casparcg machine, and see the new amd firepro, and i want to know if someone have worked with a firepro 5100 or any another amd firepro and casparcg.

Thanks

I always use nVidia Quadro's
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby Da_Elf » 06 Feb 2015, 01:18

just curious. If your not using any distortion, cropping, scaling, rotation etc.. just playing videos and flash templates... How important is the video card?
Da_Elf

Postby didikunz » 06 Feb 2015, 07:15

Da_Elf wrote:just curious. If your not using any distortion, cropping, scaling, rotation etc.. just playing videos and flash templates... How important is the video card?

I guess not so important. But I never tried it, because I use all thouse features. I also started with simple Flash tempates at the beginning. But more and more I use all thouse tricks and I am happy that I can, because I invested a little more at the beginning...
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby balte » 06 Feb 2015, 18:48

My system specs are:

Intel Core i3-2100
ATI Radeon HD 5670
8 GB of RAM
7200 RPM HDD

I am currently testing a single PAL channel with 2 HTML templates, music or an extra html template for an audiostream and sometimes playing a video of format MPEG-2 720x404 25p (when playing a video the music stops, I've accidentally had it on once and the audio did appear to be stuttering a bit.)

I have not yet noticed any dropped frames. Note that this is just a testing machine, and our actual broadcast machine will have better specs.
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek - Sometimes, I do get payed for this stuff.
balte

Postby jboolo84 » 04 May 2015, 22:09

I HAVE A BLACK MAGIC TVS AND 4K EXTREM DECKLINK.. AND ALSO I WANT TO STREAM TO SAT COMPANY THEY REQUIRE TO AN ENCODER AND ALSO TWO LAN CARDS.. ONE FOR THE COMPUTER AND THE OTHER FOR ENCODER.. MY QUESTION HERE HOW DO I CONFIGURE THOSE EQUIPMENT TOGATHER, I KNOW THE DECKLINK HAS AN SDI OUT PUT.. SHOULD I JUST USE THE HDMI OUT AND GET A LAN CARD THAT TAKES AN HDMI IN .. PLEASE HERE
jboolo84

Postby didikunz » 04 May 2015, 22:24

jboolo84 wrote:I HAVE A BLACK MAGIC TVS AND 4K EXTREM DECKLINK.. AND ALSO I WANT TO STREAM TO SAT COMPANY THEY REQUIRE TO AN ENCODER AND ALSO TWO LAN CARDS.. ONE FOR THE COMPUTER AND THE OTHER FOR ENCODER.. MY QUESTION HERE HOW DO I CONFIGURE THOSE EQUIPMENT TOGATHER, I KNOW THE DECKLINK HAS AN SDI OUT PUT.. SHOULD I JUST USE THE HDMI OUT AND GET A LAN CARD THAT TAKES AN HDMI IN .. PLEASE HERE

If you write in UPPERCASE in a forum it is like shouting. So please be patient with us an ask polite.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby jboolo84 » 04 May 2015, 22:26

ooh.. i didnt know that...my oppologies.. thank you Didi Kunz
jboolo84

Postby umek » 05 May 2015, 09:41

jboolo84 wrote:I HAVE A BLACK MAGIC TVS AND 4K EXTREM DECKLINK.. AND ALSO I WANT TO STREAM TO SAT COMPANY THEY REQUIRE TO AN ENCODER AND ALSO TWO LAN CARDS.. ONE FOR THE COMPUTER AND THE OTHER FOR ENCODER.. MY QUESTION HERE HOW DO I CONFIGURE THOSE EQUIPMENT TOGATHER, I KNOW THE DECKLINK HAS AN SDI OUT PUT.. SHOULD I JUST USE THE HDMI OUT AND GET A LAN CARD THAT TAKES AN HDMI IN .. PLEASE HERE

Best advice is to hire a technician.
www.agatin.hr
umek

Postby ddonoghue » 05 May 2015, 13:34

not sure I understand fully what you're asking but if I read it right, an encoder should accept an SDI input. Your satellite provider will give you the encoder profile settings you need. You don't usually need to buy separate LAN cards. encoders and PCs usually come with them built in. I suspect your provider just wants to be able to remotely access the devices to configure/monitor them.
Daniel Donoghue
Client and Template Developer

Problems with CasparCG? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
ddonoghue

Postby theo_testperson » 08 May 2015, 13:29

Does anyone know if the hp z420 can run the Quatro k4000 + 3 Decklink Cards simultaniously?
Is the mainboard capable of handeling the 4 cards?
We want to use the Decklink Cards as 2 Channels with Key&Fill and 2 with fill only + 2inputs

HP Z420 4-Kern Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6GHz
32GB ECC RAM
System HDD 500GB 7200U/min
2x Crucial CT512M550SSD1 interne SSD 512GB (6,4 cm (2,5 Zoll) 7mm, SATA III) as Raid-0
Win7 Pro 64bit
1x NVIDIA Quadro K4000 Graphics Card
2x BlackMagic DeckLink 4K Extreme
1x BlackMagicDecklink Quad

is this setting going to work or would you recomand other specs?
it should be a CasparCG server for a public service broadcaster in germany

thanx for your help and all the hard work
theo_testperson

Postby mcdikki » 08 May 2015, 13:44

I don't think the the CPU provides enough PCIe lanes for that.
3x8 lanes for 4k extreme
1x16 for GPU
-----------------
40 lanes

I don't have the CPU and mainboard specs in mind, but you can check it online I guess.
You would need a cpu with enough lanes and a mainboard with that has the right expansionslot layout.
I don't think there is a system out there having 4x x16slots or 1x x16 and 3x x8 slots.

Cheers
mcdikki
sublan.tv - Wir teilen Begeisterung
mcdikki

Postby didikunz » 08 May 2015, 13:57

The Decklinks use 4 PCIe lanes each. The GPU 16. So you need a CPU/motherboard combo that has 28 free PCIe lanes. I would check that with HP. Keep in mind, that the harddisc controller, network cards etc. all use some PCIe lanes.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby theo_testperson » 08 May 2015, 14:01

hp said on the website that the hp z420 has
--------------
2 PCIe Gen3 x16
1 PCIe Gen3 x8
1 PCIe Gen2 x8 (x4)
1 PCIe Gen2 x4 (x1)
1 PCI
the PCIe x8 connectors are open ended, allowing a PCIe x16 card to be seated in the slot.
------------
i am not so into the PCIe Specs but can i run a decklink card on the second PCIe Gen3 x16 or on the PCIe Gen2 x4?

thx for the help
theo_testperson

Postby didikunz » 08 May 2015, 14:05

I would download the manual and see, if there are any penalties, as of "if you use a 16x card in slot so and so, the other slot will be only so and so. From the specs it would be ok, as you only need one 16x and tree 4x
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby theo_testperson » 08 May 2015, 14:25

hi didi,
thank you for the quick reply and all the work for the community
i will check the manual
theo_testperson

Postby mcdikki » 08 May 2015, 14:27

Are you sure the 4k is only 4x? I checked the tech specs from decklink and it says 8x for the 4k extreme, not 4x.
So I'm not sure it will work.
[EDIT]Ok, my fault. I checked the 4k extreme 12G[/EDIT]

And make sure you also check the CPU specs and not only the motherboard. Not all CPU providing enough pci lanes.

cheers
mcdikki
sublan.tv - Wir teilen Begeisterung
mcdikki

Postby ealltech » 23 Dec 2016, 11:13

Flash Media Encoder needs a lot of raw CPU power. So it could interfere with CasparCG. Thats why I would use one Graperain for CasparCG and the other for Flash Media Encoder. You will also need a Decklink (or something else) as a input for Media Encoder. The ATEM panel software does not draw much computing power, so it would make sense to install it on one of the two computers. Probablly it would make sense to use the CasparCG machine for it, because, with a fat nVidia graphics card you get a better screen resolution for the ATEM panel, than on the encoder, where you may get away with mainboard graphics.
ealltech

Return to General discussions