It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 11:55

The prototype of a DME made with Caspar

Videos, graphics, Flash templates – how to create and play them using CasparCG

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

The prototype of a DME made with Caspar

Postby super-ienien » 19 Dec 2016, 14:54

Hi,

I wanted to share my experience on the development of a DME prototype based on CasparCG.

You can see the result here :
last test at home
test in the control room

The PC configuration is a Z440 : Intel Xeon E5-1650V4 (3.2Ghz), RAM 16Go, Nvidia GeForce Titan X, with a PCIe SSD
Video Output : Decklink 4K Pro
Video Inputs : Decklink Quad 2

Everything is made with the Caspar's Mixer. To do a composition like the one in the videos above, it require the use of hundreds of layers (containing various type of producers like color, decklink, ffmpeg).
In order to achieve that I had to change a little thing in the source code of Caspar : the maximum size of the AMCP command queue wich was limited to 64 pending commands. My system send more than 1000 commands in less than a second.

What I call the "window engine" (the script that compute all the coordinates of each layer and what commands to send to caspar) is coded in AS3 so it runs in an empty flash template. I think i will rebuild it in javascript to run it outside of caspar.

There is 5 issues that I need to work on :

- The system take 10 frames of delay (even with just one layer and no mixer transformation on it)
- We can't remote it from the video switcher. I think i will work on a PBus utility
- The interlacing/deinterlacing/reintarlcing process is not very good for the quality of the product
- It doesn't work at all on the Caspar Server 2.1.0 beta
- A very weird issue : it sometimes lag and drop frames if we don't add a screen consumer in addition to the decklink consumer. With the screen consumer added, it never lag.
super-ienien

Re: The prototype of a DME made with Caspar

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 19 Dec 2016, 18:07

Cool. Sending that many commands, I suspect you send a new set of MIXER-commands pr. layer pr. frame? Why do you do this over using the Tweening capabilities with DEFER/COMMIT for synchronisation?
Jesper Stærkær
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Jesper Stærkær

Postby thos-berlin » 19 Dec 2016, 19:32

Really cool
thos-berlin

Postby super-ienien » 19 Dec 2016, 20:42

@jesper : no I'm using what you say (defer and tweening). I just need to send a lot of commands because for this composition I have 24 layers by window and five windows at least. For one layer I can send several commands (like one for the fill, one for the clip, one for the opacity...) so the number of commands can increase very fast. But caspar seems to react very well. That's bluffing
super-ienien

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 19 Dec 2016, 21:15

Really really cool.
Jesper Stærkær
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Jesper Stærkær

Postby sonny_xny » 20 Dec 2016, 04:42

Very cool implementation :)

- We can't remote it from the video switcher. I think i will work on a PBus utility

maybe you can trying using "socket" connection on the flash template, flash can be receiving text data which can be split into several command for flash event that execute specific dynamic animation or movie clip, your video switcher can be an application controller that separate from the flash template. For more information about flash "socket connection" you can find in this link :

https://www.google.co.id/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... et+example

- The interlacing/deinterlacing/reintarlcing process is not very good for the quality of the product

I am agree with this, I have several Flash template that looks very bad in the interlacing mode :(

- It doesn't work at all on the Caspar Server 2.1.0 beta

Well, maybe you can update your display graphic drivers or vga driver to the last or recent version, for my case this way was fixed the problem.

- A very weird issue : it sometimes lag and drop frames if we don't add a screen consumer in addition to the decklink consumer. With the screen consumer added, it never lag.

I don't know if this will help you :
- try to disable "Auto Transcode" option on your CasparCG Server configuration, because every object were rendering using Flash Producer engine or came from your flash template, but if your template combine with html template and direct video playing you need to enable Auto Transcode option.
- Try to update the flash player on your CasparCG Server, using flash player 11.9 :

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flas ... rchive.zip

- Try to rebuild / recompile your flash template using flash player 11.9, you can find the way to rebuild in this link :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4323

you can enable "Hardware acceleration" using "Level 2 - GPU" option, to gain more smooth and stable playing on the Flash Template, because as far as I know only on version 11.9 this option can be fully applying (using hardware acceleration), unfortunatelly on version 12.X++ or on the latest version this option can not using and fully work in Flash Template. I have done some research on Adobe Flash forum and find this solution for using Hardware Acceleration in Flash Template.

Cheers,
Sonny
sonny_xny

Postby super-ienien » 20 Dec 2016, 14:17

Hi,

Sonny. Thanks a lot for your very complete answer. I will look into it and test what you said. Thks
super-ienien

Return to Content