It is currently 24 Jun 2017, 09:49

Playing out the video in reverse

Videos, graphics, Flash templates – how to create and play them using CasparCG

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

Playing out the video in reverse

Postby Ultravibe » 30 Oct 2016, 11:56

I'm sorry if it is exists in WIKI, but i can't find it. I need to play out the video in reverse - it is very simple, isn't it?
Can you tell how can i do this?
Ultravibe

Re: Playing out the video in reverse

Postby mcdikki » 31 Oct 2016, 09:40

I don't think it's that simple. Modern video codecs are not made for that. The long GOP structure makes it very hard to play backwards, because the a lot of information is at the I-Frame and then, only changes are stored. If you play a clip reverse, the player need to scan the video stream for the I-frame and all frames between the current one. So it is complicated and a whole lot more resource intensive than playing it forward.

You could have a look at the ffmpeg options and see if you can pass a filter that does the job.
And have a look at the MAV builds here which should be able to do that since they need to change the way the videos are played anyway.

cheers
mcdikki
sublan.tv - Wir teilen Begeisterung
mcdikki

Postby Ultravibe » 31 Oct 2016, 10:04

Thank you!
Right now I choose more simple way. I got a few of videos, which should be played in reverse. I render original files from after effects in reverse, and that's all))))
But for further performance I will take a look at your advise! Thank you once again!
Ultravibe

Postby didikunz » 31 Oct 2016, 13:10

Ultravibe wrote:Thank you!
Right now I choose more simple way. I got a few of videos, which should be played in reverse. I render original files from after effects in reverse, and that's all))))
But for further performance I will take a look at your advise! Thank you once again!

That is the cleanest way of doing it.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby Ultravibe » 31 Oct 2016, 13:32

Yes, Didi! But that is not ideal solution. By the way, Didi, which programming language do you use to develop control software? I need consultation with C++
Ultravibe

Postby didikunz » 31 Oct 2016, 14:54

Ultravibe wrote:Yes, Didi! But that is not ideal solution. By the way, Didi, which programming language do you use to develop control software? I need consultation with C++

I use VB.NET. I could help also on C# a bit (similar objects, different syntax) but C++ is not something I know anything about it. You could ask Robert Nagy for instance.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Return to Content