It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 09:27

HTML vs. Flash

Videos, graphics, Flash templates – how to create and play them using CasparCG

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

HTML vs. Flash

Postby jackreynolds » 26 Aug 2016, 01:48

Is there a difference between an HTML template and a Flash one? Any advantages/disadvantages to one or the other?
jackreynolds

I like flash

Postby thos-berlin » 26 Aug 2016, 22:03

I like flash. I made some templates for my sports association and its easy to support and distribute them. Nobody can modify them and destroy some dependencies or the sourcecode. Just put the flash-files to template folder - ready to go.This way, I gave my templates to people I didn't know before and had no " bad feeling". I was sure, my templates will run correctly.

Maybe there are much more HTML programmers, who already have the experience und the tools for creating nice graphics. I'm not sure, that creating a web server and a website to do some lower thirds is the right way. Perhaps, it is for big events like Olympia or big companies / broadcaster, when the knowledge and the equpiment don't leave the "house" and / or complex flow of information takes place.
thos-berlin

Re: HTML vs. Flash

Postby didikunz » 26 Aug 2016, 23:13

I personally also prefer Flash over HTML. When I started using Caspar HTML was not an option. So I had to learn Flash to get going. From clients I get designs for templates either in Photoshop or After Effects files. Adobes pricing model for CC is so, that it's not cheaper to license the two, than the whole CC. So I get Flash / Animate anyway. So why should I change and start from scratch?

What I also like on Flash, as Thos mentioned, you get a single compiled file, that includes all fonts etc. You can send that to a client and it simply work as expected. With HTML you always send folders.

So if you are an experienced web developer, don't touch Flash, do it the way you did your stuff before. But when you need to learn one or the other anyway, I would give Flash / Animate a try.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby jackreynolds » 26 Aug 2016, 23:20

I too learned with Flash and will stick with it. I just wondered if there were any differences, and it seems flash is easier, so thank you,

Also didi you seem to be accidentally double posting.
jackreynolds

Postby didikunz » 27 Aug 2016, 09:33

jackreynolds wrote:Also didi you seem to be accidentally double posting.

That sometimes happens, when I am on the iPad, I deleted the double post.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby Mandoi » 27 Aug 2016, 10:17

I think it is more question of somebody used to work with flash or html. Flash is built for animations but html is developed a lot for doing so. Flash has a rich toolset (costy anyway) but html has the broadest community.
Personally I prefer html because there are plenty of techiques developed to completely replace flash in a browser (and in Caspar too)
If you want to program your graphics you have ActionSctipt in flash and JavaScript in HTML they both are ECMA script and actually javascript has bigger support.
I personaly believe that there is nothing you can do in one that you cannot do in other but because of wide spread of html, it is easier to solve some problems in html word. Anyway, it is easier and cheaper to find html and javascript programmers than flash ones.
Mandoi

Postby itod » 27 Aug 2016, 11:34

There are two main advantages of HTML over Flash which can be a game-changer:

1) With Flash you have to copy the templates to CasparCG Server's templates folder, with HTML you can serve them to CasparCG Server through your application's internal web server or some other web server installed on the machine, or machines nearby on secure network. Not having to copy template files to specific place in specific system can be a big plus regarding maintenance of your application, and keep in mind that you can interact with your internal web server in much more sophisticated ways than AMCP (websockets, etc.)

2) Flash is being abandoned bigtime. Even it's current owner (Adobe) is turning the head from it, to be honest for the reason of security which is not important in the broadcast environment we run our applications (isolated and secured networks), but nevertheless you are getting out of tools when everything Flash is turned to HTML, and it is only a matter of time before you will not have supported application on supported system to make your template in Flash.

There are some HTML animation tools like CSS animations which can do stuff in HTML you can't do in FLash, but unfortunately they are not working in current and future 2.1 version of CasparCG server. If they would work choice between Flash and HTML could be easy, but all things considered it's still the matter of personal preference and which tool you fell more comfortable with.
itod

Postby didikunz » 27 Aug 2016, 12:59

Let's do not start a religious war here :)

I still want to comment on your points

itod wrote:1) With Flash you have to copy the templates to CasparCG Server's templates folder, with HTML you can serve them to CasparCG Server through your application's internal web server or some other web server installed on the machine, or machines nearby on secure network. Not having to copy template files to specific place in specific system can be a big plus regarding maintenance of your application, and keep in mind that you can interact with your internal web server in much more sophisticated ways than AMCP (websockets, etc.)

That is right. It could be a (small) problem. I did web-development myself and found it cumbersome to be hoinest. It gives you a lot of possibilities, but also a lot of loose ends. So if your in web-development, please stay in this world a be happy with Caspar's HTML-Producer :)

itod wrote:2) Flash is being abandoned bigtime. Even it's current owner (Adobe) is turning the head from it, to be honest for the reason of security which is not important in the broadcast environment we run our applications (isolated and secured networks), but nevertheless you are getting out of tools when everything Flash is turned to HTML, and it is only a matter of time before you will not have supported application on supported system to make your template in Flash.

Adobe release regularly updates to it's Flash platform. It's re branded to Adobe Animate, to reflect the fact, that it can be used (not only since the name has changed) to do HTML animations with it. So I don't think they will let it go in the foreseeable future. And by the way: There are still people that do stuff in Adobe Director. And AFAIK you still can buy it. It will simply not be updated any more...

itod wrote:There are some HTML animation tools like CSS animations which can do stuff in HTML you can't do in FLash, but unfortunately they are not working in current and future 2.1 version of CasparCG server. If they would work choice between Flash and HTML could be easy, but all things considered it's still the matter of personal preference and which tool you fell more comfortable with.

My words! If you know HTML use this, if you know Flash, don't waste your time learning a new platform to do virtually the same.
Didi Kunz
didikunz

Postby maurice78 » 13 Sep 2016, 20:37

well

as others said all ready, for the sake off productivity
if you know one workflow stay with it!! (at least @the moment)

for the moment IMO they are both on the same level.
they both have their do's and dont's and pitfalls/quality issue's

if you have to start i should say pick HTML as the future is more bright for it.
and there is more support for HTML in general.
FLASH is on its way back.

if you build templates for 3rd parties flash is indeed just one file that does it all, and it is a bit harder
to reverse engineer or to damage.

one thing to mention is that there is a 3rd option for quick and easy GFX without logic
the new PSDtemplate (not in the stable release yet) which is quite user friendly.

what i find interesting about the PSD template is that there is a distinct border between
the technical world and the creative world in a production

grt
Maurice
maurice78

Return to Content