CasparCG server on Linux: Discussion about the official builds

We've been discussing about what version of linux to 'officially support' in the github issue system. It's probably better to continue the discussions here...

My suggestion so far is this (copied from the github issue)
There will only be 'official' support and builds produced for the LTS versions of Ubuntu, starting 4 months after it's release (to allow for major bugs to be found) and then for 4 years from it's initial release date. Therefore we will 'officially' support a maximum of 2 versions of Ubuntu linux at one time.

16.04 support will start development right away and then when ready it will enter an official supported status. It will then stop being officially supported on 20.04

18.04 support will start development on it's release date, and then at 18.08 it will enter (pending test results) an official supported status. It will then stop being officially supported on 22.04

We will also provide unsupported builds for the other releases of Ubuntu, from it's release date until the release of the next version, so with a likely lifetime of 6 months. This is to allow developers to run the latest Ubuntu version on their development machines, and to prepare for the next LTS release.

Please give your comments/suggestions.

Re: CasparCG server on Linux: Discussion about the official builds

Having re-read this plan, I am wondering about the support cut off date for each release. With this plan there will be a 4 month period where only one version is supported.
I feel it would be better to extend that cut off date a bit to give an overlap, so that there is a couple of months for users to switch from 16.04 straight to 20.04, whilst being supported on both.
I dont work in broadcast, so I can only speculate on their desired update patterns.
Also, what do we mean by supported? You have already said that it will get official builds, but is the intention to prioritize issues users have on official versions?

Re: CasparCG server on Linux: Discussion about the official builds

The term 'officially supported' is something that SVT would have to define. But my view on it is that it's the ones that SVT will be using internally and wants them to be updated, so they will of course have an interest in ensuring those versions get developer time/resources. So that means they will have public builds for download and will prioritize issues for those versions.

That's true...my thoughts were that there is 20 months for them to switch from 16.04 to 18.04, but I guess most broadcasters would prefer a 4 year OS update cycle instead of 2 years.

@dotarmin your thoughts please?