Automation / control protocols

Hello!

I've been looking at ways of integrating CasparCG with the automation/production systems I use. Unfortunately, my coding abilities are limited, so writing my own middleware is something I'd rather avoid.

What's the status of support for the various "standard" protocols right now, either in Caspar directly, or using third-party software that's obtainable and known to be working?

For example, VDCP support would make Caspar a viable playout server for my needs; CII (perhaps supported already in some form?) would allow my existing systems to use it as a CG. And, of course, MOS is always a winner around here.

I'd love to put your wonderful system to good use throughout my facility... if only I could get the various systems talking to it!

--Keith

Re: Automation / control protocols

Built into caspar?
VDCP: nope
CII: nope
MOS: nope

It's all AMCP for control, osc for monitoring.

The CasparCG Client offers OSC and some form of custom socket programming. Other than that you are completely dependent on the community, I poked around a bit on github and the forum, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps you can find some library or program that can convert your protocol into OSC?

One issue with these protocols is that only so many people have the ability to test with the equipment, making it hard to develop user implementations or middleware.
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek

kthelen wrote: For example, VDCP support would make Caspar a viable playout server for my needs; CII (perhaps supported already in some form?) would allow my existing systems to use it as a CG. And, of course, MOS is always a winner around here.
There is kind of a MOS implementation as Caspar works with AVECO Astra Studio Automation and that is controlled by MOS. To directly implement a MOS client I had not the test environment and also not the time to do it without anybody paying for it. The same is true for VDCP or CII. In case of the Chyron Inteligent Interface (CII) I was looking at Google and at the ChyronHego website for a protocoll specification and did not found anything. Is this still supported?
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

https://github.com/CasparCG/Server/tree ... otocol/cii

I don't know C, so this code doesn't mean much to me - but it looks as though someone at least started implementing Chyron Intelligent Interface.

I've looked in all my Chyron docs for the Intelligent Interface specs (we had Chyron CGs here many moons ago). But I keep finding references to a "Chyron Intelligent Interface Option Handbook" that I don't have, and which doesn't seem to be online anywhere. If it would move things along, I could try calling Chyron and seeing if they'd send me a copy.

Here's my situation...

Right now I have NewsKing for an NRCS/news automation package, along with some (old, ailing) commercial video servers and CGs. For the video server, the commands are simple: return list of clips; load clip; play clip; stop clip; unload clip. (I considered writing a simple AMCP converter for this, but never had the time.) CG-wise, it's pretty similar: each command contains the desired template ID, and values for one or more pre-defined variables, which creates a rundown in the CG which the operator manually controls. (I figured this would be most easily accomplished by using the commands to generate an XML rundown for CasparCG Client, but again, never got the chance to try.)

Since I never got to integrate them, I have a couple of Caspar machines deployed beside our existing equipment as a manually-controlled backup. They work fine - it's just a pain to set up and execute the rundowns by hand.

Next year, we'll be replacing NewsKing with Ross' Inception NRCS and OverDrive news automation. VDCP and CII are supported, but not recommended; MOS is the preferred protocol. There isn't enough budget to buy new off-the-shelf video servers and/or CGs simultaneously, so I'd really like to integrate those Caspar machines I previously mentioned. Not surprisingly, the Ross folks don't seem very interested in that particular wish (especially since they sell their own line of clip-servers and CGs).

"There is kind of a MOS implementation as Caspar works with AVECO Astra Studio Automation and that is controlled by MOS" - can you tell me more about this? I'm not familiar.

Hi

a subset of CII is supported, that was what we used with CasparCG in the early days.

Code: Select all

<tcp>
   <port>5251</port>
   <protocol>CII</protocol>
 </tcp>

You can use the CasparClient as a middleware and trigger that as a shoot box. and do the CG stuff directly against CasparCG with CII.

You can trigger/fire to/from the Client with Traditional GPIO or use OSC to trigger anything both ways.
That way we do everything from small news shows to hosting Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Stockholm.

We use a lot of Visualproductions ioCore devices acting as a bridge when we don't have what we need.

Another way is to generate the CasparClient-XML needed to reflect you rundown automatically, but then you had to do some programming. :(

/olle

I did not remembered, that Caspar supports a kind of CII. So this would probably be worth a try.

Concerning AVECO Astra, That is something similar to Ross's OverDrive automation. The difference is, that it is able to control Caspar. I don't know much about it, as I was only involved with the Caspar side of the thing. We made a smart interface between Astra and the (Flash-) templates using metadata to get Astra to know what varaiable names are valid for the particular template and an what layer it needs to be loaded. So the MOS does not come to Caspar, as it is interpreted by Astra. You find more informations about it on their website https://www.aveco.com/en/ They made it work with the ncPower and the Octopus NRCS systems respectively on two different regional broadcasters here in Switzerland. Probably they could also use Inception, you would need to ask.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests