It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 23:28

CasparCG in cloud (AWS) infrastructure and/or Docker

CasparCG Server, Client and development

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

CasparCG in cloud (AWS) infrastructure and/or Docker

Postby Pimp Shanti » 12 Jun 2017, 12:18

Hi all, thanks as always for the wealth of info on here.

I know some people have had success deploying Caspar on AWS although info is sparse. I am looking to do the same -
IP video in and out - and to also containerise it within Docker for scalability.

I thought it would be worth starting a thread to pool resources and knowledge on this subject. Any and all pointers and experiences welcome.

Cheers.
Pimp Shanti

Re: CasparCG in cloud (AWS) infrastructure and/or Docker

Postby Pimp Shanti » 12 Jun 2017, 13:08

First questions first:

1) who has attempted/achieved either containerising Caspar or deploying it to cloud infrastructure and with what success?

2) I see from the ChangeLog for CasparCG 2.1.0 Beta 1:
Code: Select all
  o Major code refactoring:
    + Mixer abstraction so different implementations can be created. Currently
      CPU mixer and GPU mixer (previously the usage of the GPU was mandatory)
      exists.

Am I correct that this means Caspar could be deployed on a CPU-only instance and so we no longer need to be looking at (for example) AWS's nVidia instances to provide GPU acceleration? Are there any drawbacks of using it as CPU only, other than the obvious high cost/performance CPU requirements?
Pimp Shanti

Postby sonny_xny » 13 Jun 2017, 07:46

Maybe you can explain again:

1. Did you mean is CasparCG Server or web client connected to CasparCG Server ??

2. The final output of the CasparCG Server is a video overlay or something else ??

As I know, for output as a video overlay, CasparCG Server needs decklink card besides the powerful GPU and CPU, the final outcome via decklink,

I think the big problem until now, I have never heard of Cloud Server service that gives feature decklink card or Video overlay output feature :)

Cheers,
Sonny
sonny_xny

Postby didikunz » 13 Jun 2017, 09:36

sonny_xny wrote:As I know, for output as a video overlay, CasparCG Server needs decklink card besides the powerful GPU and CPU, the final outcome via decklink,

That is not the case. The output could also be NDI or a webstream. For that to work no Decklink card is required.

Until now (2.0.7) the GPU was necessary. From 2.1 on it seems to work with a CPU mixer also (I never tried). But to be fast I would recomend the use of a GPU anyway. There are also AWS subscriptions with nVidia GPU support available.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby Pimp Shanti » 15 Jun 2017, 16:46

Thanks for the replies.

Didikunz is correct, output can be a multitude of formats, not necessarily requiring hardware. In my case, no hardware is required at all. IP in, IP out.

Good to hear that my assumptions re. GPU were correct. Yes, AWS has nVidia instances but the plan is to deploy within a scaleable Docker container which will add more CPU resources (instances) as required. nVidia have implemented a Docker structure which exposes hardware GPU to the containers but it seems much more complex than with CPU only (i.e. 'normal' Docker). If the system is scaleable then the amount of available CPU resources is practically limitless. My gut feeling is that running multiple CPU instances will still be far cheaper than running fewer GPU instances.

The question is whether CasparCG within scaleable Docker is possible.
Pimp Shanti

Postby balte » 15 Jun 2017, 17:30

You would have to experiment a bit, but the cpu mixer is enabled by putting the following in the config file:
<accelerator>cpu</accelerator>

If you run headless you will have to disable the screen consumer, and you might need xfvb still.
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek - Sometimes, I do get payed for this stuff.
balte

Postby Pimp Shanti » 15 Jun 2017, 17:45

Thanks balte.

What is xfvb and what does it do?

With regards disabling the screen consumer, is this done in the caspar config file or elsewhere?
Pimp Shanti

Postby balte » 16 Jun 2017, 07:41

xfvb is a linux utility that creates a dummy display output.

disabling the screen consumer can be done from the config file by removing the default entry.
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek - Sometimes, I do get payed for this stuff.
balte

Postby julusian » 16 Jun 2017, 11:34

In my testing, a running x server is still needed for caspar to get an opengl context. Appears to be a limitation in the SFML graphics library. The log shows that it fails to access the display when initialing the screen module (even with no screen consumers enabled in my config). Perhaps if it was compiled without the screen module enabled it might get further?

Also, from looking in https://github.com/CasparCG/Server/blob ... erator.cpp, the includes suggest that the cpu mixer is not available on linux. I can't dig into this any further to confirm currently.
#ifdef _MSC_VER
#include "cpu/image/image_mixer.h"
#endif
#include "ogl/image/image_mixer.h"
#include "ogl/util/device.h"
julusian

Postby Pimp Shanti » 16 Jun 2017, 18:02

My experience was exactly the same - I disabled the screen consumer in the config yet still had an error in the logs. This is why I asked the question... I thought I must be doing something wrong! Good to know there is a workaround although I'm wondering what the impact may be on resources - I don't like the idea of running xfvb as an 'output' which is not actually an output. If it has minimal impact then fine but otherwise I wonder if we would benefit from a Headless Caspar which, as you say, has the Screen Consumer removed.

Your comments regarding CPU Mixer being unavailable on Linux is more of a concern. Can anyone confirm one way or another?
Pimp Shanti

Postby julusian » 16 Jun 2017, 22:02

I have just tested 2.1 Beta 2 on both windows and linux with the accelerator set to both cpu and gpu.
I used the same config of one channel with no consumers, and played the same 2 video layers in all tests.

On windows the log indicated what accelerator mode was being used with one of the following
Initialized Streaming SIMD Extensions Accelerated CPU Image Mixer for channel 1
Initialized OpenGL Accelerated GPU Image Mixer for channel 1

Utilisation was as follows:
CPU Mode: 2% GPU, 75% CPU
GPU Mode: 15% GPU, 24% CPU

On linux, the gpu mode worked as expected with 33% GPU, 19% CPU.
I was unable to run in cpu mode as caspar terminated with the following error at the point where it would normally print which accelerator was being used
(casparcg.config: /configuration/channels/channel[1]). Please check the configuration file (casparcg.config) for errors.

In regard to overhead in running xfvb, it is a virtual framebuffer meaning that it runs the display cpu rather than gpu accelerated. So in theory it should work, I do not know what performance would be like in doing this though.
Last edited by julusian on 19 Jun 2017, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
julusian

Postby Pimp Shanti » 19 Jun 2017, 11:51

Thank you for running those tests, great work and really useful.

Shame the CPU mode isn't implemented on Linux (yet?). Looks like we are indeed looking at AWS's GPU instances for now. I'm really hoping to be able to use it in CPU mode though; this, combined with Docker, would mean that CasparCG would be cloud service agnostic, running the same on any service and with single click install. I think that's an objective worth aiming for. Anyone know of a roadmap for CPU mode on Linux?

BTW:
julusian wrote:Utilisation was as follows:
CPU Mode: 2% GPU, 75% GPU
GPU Mode: 15% GPU, 24% GPU

I assumed that the second column is CPU. Thought you might want to edit to help others understand your results :)
Pimp Shanti

Postby julusian » 19 Jun 2017, 14:48

Good spot on that typo, that is fixed.

I've had a very quick look at the history and it appears that hellgore disabled the cpu mixer for linux, right around the time linux support was added. If I reenable it I get a bunch of errors in accelerator/cpu/util/xmm.h, which appear to be due to differences between the windows and linux compilers. It shouldnt be too bad to fix up with a little time I expect, but my knowledge of c++ is limited especially the sse intrinsics that file is heavily using so I could be wrong.
julusian

Postby julusian » 20 Jun 2017, 23:00

My curiosity got the better of me on this, especially as I've been wanting to contribute to caspar for a while.

This enabled the cpu mixer: https://github.com/CasparCG/Server/pull/608
An x server is currently still required
julusian

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 21 Jun 2017, 11:04

Brilliant Julian. Brilliant.
Jesper Stærkær
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Jesper Stærkær

Postby julusian » 22 Jun 2017, 22:21

It looks like removing the requirement for a running xserver is not currently possible.
I have managed to do so (https://github.com/Julusian/CasparCG-Se ... less-linux) but had to remove the html producer. It appears that the version of chromium in use requires x11 to initialise itself. I have tested with a newer version of chromium and there was no change.

I am now able to launch caspar over ssh, and play a looping video out to a decklink with no visible stutter. It works with both the cpu and gpu accelerators.
julusian

Return to Tech and Development