Postby suleiman » 26 Mar 2017, 20:24

hello all
I would ask which is better
raid 0 ssd using software
or raid 0 hardware bios configration
suleiman

Re: raid 0 ssd

Postby mcdikki » 27 Mar 2017, 09:12

This is not answerable without knowing more about your hardware.
Most bios raids are just softwareraid done by the normal cpu. In this case, there is absolutely no improvement over using the systems software raid. Actually, its worse because these raids are often only usable on the same boards.

If you have a real raid controller with cache and bbu, this is better than sw raid, but for raid 0, this only would give you more data safety but no real performance gain since raid0 is not compute intensive.

So, my recommendation without deep knowledge of your system is to stick with sw raid.

Keep in mind, that raid0 boost your performance but doubles the risk of data loss.
If you need more safety, use raid10 instead. Or raid 5 with more than 3 disks. For raid5 a raid controller might get you a little performance gain as it needs much more calculations.

cheers
mcdikki
sublan.tv - Wir teilen Begeisterung
mcdikki

Postby suleiman » 27 Mar 2017, 19:22

thanks for i will do my test
suleiman

Postby zbang » 31 Mar 2017, 05:30

Generally speaking, I'd avoid RAID-ing drives altogether in data consumers, that's what storage servers are for. Are you looking at this because the SSDs are too small or for some other reason? I ask because for some applications SSDs are unnecessary. (I live in NTSC land. Playout of compressed video from spinning drives is fine although I do capture uncompressed to SSDs.)

If I had to stack up drives on a windows system into a single entity, I'd use the windows O/S to do it; at least then you can replace the entire motherboard or controller and still get to the data. Do not use RAID0 if you're concerned about data integrity, use RAID1, RAID10, or RAID5 (or 6). Also, make sure you have enough CPU, especially cores, and memory; I wouldn't consider this on a 2-core CPU.

FWIW, when time permits, I'm going to test playback from my FreeNAS server. Even on a 1g Ethernet, I should be able to get reasonable reliability if I configure a good cache at the playout server. If that doesn't work, they're always 10g Ethernet....
zbang

Return to Tech and Development