[Sticky] CasparCG 2.0 - AMD/ATI Graphics Card Support

EDIT: CasparCG Server 2.0.4b1 is available now, and has experimental support for ATI/AMD graphics cards.

We have received several reports that CasparCG 2.0 does no seem to support certain AMD/ATI cards in some configurations.

It is recommended that you purchase an Nvidia Quadro Card, e.g. Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 if you wish to run CasparCG 2.0.
CasparCG Integrator, Developer and Consultant
Former CasparCG Lead Developer
Feel free to contact me (ronag@live.com) if you need any CasparCG related support, development or other consulting.

Re: [Sticky] CasparCG 2.0 - AMD/ATI Graphics Card Support

it would be nice if people would list here the amd/ati cards that either work or not.
I have a plan to use casparcg laptop based(or keep the option ready for situations that require laptop), and at first I did a bootcamp win7 installation to my early 2011 macbook pro 17" that has AMD Radeon HD 6750M in it. server is completely dead, won't start at all.
so probably I have to look for win7 laptop with hdmi out and/or usb3(BMD ultra studio pro)...but which one? as it seems to be a bit tricky when it comes choosing proper enough features for laptop and compatible grapchics card/chip.
So, a list of graphics cards that are proven to be ok in use would be nice :)

go370 wrote:I'm just tried a new build with a AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D and the Server is only showing a black screen and flashing cursor. Is that a sign of an incompatible system?
The GPU needs to support OpenGL 3.1. DirectX is not needed. So what Version of OpenGL does your card support?
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

ATI 5770 with Win 7 64 bit Home Premium (SP1 installed). Tested with Catalyst 11.11 and 11.12 Running with an i7 2600K CPU and Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, 8GB RAM installed.

CasparCG Server 2.0 Beta 1 and 3 don't work (flashing cursor and black screen in terminal window that pops up) No log generated.
CasparCG Sever 1.8 runs OK.

Uninstalling ATI/AMD stuff (Catalyst and all drivers, and uninstalling device drivers in Device Manager) and using i7 2600K on-board HD3000 graphics allows CasparCG Server 2.0 Beta 3 to run - albeit slowly as the GPU is puny.
Views expressed here are entirely my own, and nothing to do with my employer.

A couple of weeks ago, I compiled the 2.1 (unstable) 64 bit version of Caspar (currently only available as source) and I was happily surprised that Caspar 2, finally did work with my AMD graphics card. It seems as if the new 64 drivers have better OpenGL support than the older ones.

So, if you are having problems with Caspar and AMD/ATI-cards, compile Caspar 2.1 from source and try it out again. Note, that you do have to got a 64-bit system for this to work at all.

After the build the casparcg.config contains <accelerator>auto</accelerator>, this works.
You said i have to set it to <accelerator>cpu</accelerator> , this work too.

And after i saw your posting ..i tryed to remove the <accelerator> node completely... and it works also.

I dont know was this property should do ... i havent tested all options of the server with this combinations, but it seems this setting has no affect ?

But i have to say i only wanted a server for development ... my job is only to extend the demo client and build a few flash templates... at this point i am not very familar enough with the casparcg server.

Hi All,

Finally, I can use my HP ProBook 4320s with Mobility Radeon HD5400 for testing and development. With Server 2.0 (final) everything works perfectly. OpenGL is recognized and server start without problems.

I will also test Server 2.0 with Decklink UltraStudio Pro (external USB 3.0) and laptop configuration for our Match (Soccer) graphics.

Thanks people... Great job!

moroheiya wrote:It's seems to relate to SFML.
SFML-1.6 has a problem with ATI Graphics card.
My build with SFML-2.0 is ok.
Hi.

Trying to build CasparCG 2.03 replacing SFML 1.6 with 2.0 as moroheiya said but got a lot of compilation errors. Any advices on how to do it?

Trying to make 2.0 work with SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 video card.

Thanks.

Alb wrote:Trying to build CasparCG 2.03 replacing SFML 1.6 with 2.0 as moroheiya said but got a lot of compilation errors. Any advices on how to do it?
You can use 1.6, just make sure to use static linking, instead of dynamic linking (which is how 2.0 currently links to SFML 1.6).
CasparCG Integrator, Developer and Consultant
Former CasparCG Lead Developer
Feel free to contact me (ronag@live.com) if you need any CasparCG related support, development or other consulting.

hi there

just to let you know

had the oppurtunity to test caspar with ATI firepro W7000 with a S400 syncboard today.

genlocked to house sync and in a 2x2 span it worked like a charm with a 4k producer.
i could only check playback with default content.
i have tested mixers and blend options which worked fine.

i could not test flash as the system was intended for use with other software i was not allowed to
install flash ;(

hope this is use full for you guys
it was for me ;)

regards
Maurice

While we haven't heard a single report on ATI/AMD or integrated Intel GPUs that don't work with CasparCG Server 2.0.3/2.0.4, we still recommend that you get a beefier card than the integrated CPU/GPUs from Intel.

Last night, in bed, I replied to a private support message from a big company that had performance problems playing four simultaneous HD videos. Once they added a "real" GPU to their system, all problems went away.

Our recommendation is still a Quadro K2000 card.
Jonas Hummelstrand
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Former Community Manager for CasparCG

Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

Jonas Hummelstrand wrote:While we haven't heard a single report on ATI/AMD or integrated Intel GPUs that don't work with CasparCG Server 2.0.3/2.0.4, we still recommend that you get a beefier card than the integrated CPU/GPUs from Intel.

Last night, in bed, I replied to a private support message from a big company that had performance problems playing four simultaneous HD videos. Once they added a "real" GPU to their system, all problems went away.

Our recommendation is still a Quadro K2000 card.
You are right in every aspect.
My choice for integrated GPU is only because of small factor case and lack of space.
Broadcast Live streaming | Video production
www.agatin.hr