It is currently 27 Jun 2017, 04:45

Best Practice - Sound Output

Help to specific problems with your setup, or discussing CasparCG bugs

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

Best Practice - Sound Output

Postby techyjames » 23 Mar 2017, 03:21

Hello all.

I'm looking to spec up a full solution for VT and graphic overlay with Caspar playout.

I have one big question though; what's the best method to get audio out of Caspar?

Currently I've tried embedding it into the SDI and then using a Blackmagic SDI to Audio box to stip the sound off into our mixer so we have level controls all on one sound mixer.

Is that the best method, or would a USB soundcard be a better option (I know it would be cheaper than an SDI to Audio box I'm just concerned there may be a sync issue with that)?

Side question - If you use an SDI input (via a decklink) into Caspar which has audio on ch1&2 can you stop the audio from passing through Caspar to it's output? As what we'll feed Caspar with will already be going into our sound mixer and added in at a later point in the chain.

Thanks, James.
Technical helper at KTV
techyjames

Re: Best Practice - Sound Output

Postby didikunz » 23 Mar 2017, 10:41

I would not use a USB or other sound card as you sure will have sync issues. There are Decklink cards that have analog or AES/EBU audio out's like the Decklink Extreme 4K.

To be able to strip off the sound of incoming video: As soon as you play you video inside Caspar^'s mixer stage you can control the volume of the audio.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby techyjames » 24 Mar 2017, 02:48

Thanks for your speedy and informative response!

That's a pain about the extreme - the extreme costs more and yet has less SDI in/outs. I think I'll go for a Blackmagic SDI to Audio then (I wonder if that can be setup to not pass the sound out of the SDI output?).

Also it's my understanding that the Decklink Pro 4K can use both inputs and both outputs at the same time, unlike the older model I have which can only use two ins/outs or one of each, are you able to confirm that (sorry for being slightly off topic)?

Ok, and is that volume control mix you speak of on that layer/input or that entire channel?

James.
Technical helper at KTV
techyjames

Postby didikunz » 24 Mar 2017, 09:27

techyjames wrote:That's a pain about the extreme - the extreme costs more and yet has less SDI in/outs. I think I'll go for a Blackmagic SDI to Audio then (I wonder if that can be setup to not pass the sound out of the SDI output?).

I don't think so and also do not understand why it should. If you embedd the audio of your audio mixer to the final video, it's overwriten anyway.

techyjames wrote:Also it's my understanding that the Decklink Pro 4K can use both inputs and both outputs at the same time, unlike the older model I have which can only use two ins/outs or one of each, are you able to confirm that (sorry for being slightly off topic)?

I am not very sure about the Pro, I would look at the Duo 2 or Quad 2.

techyjames wrote:Ok, and is that volume control mix you speak of on that layer/input or that entire channel?

There are commands for both: http://casparcg.com/wiki/CasparCG_2.1_AMCP_Protocol#MIXER_VOLUME
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby Jesper Stærkær » 24 Mar 2017, 11:21

techyjames wrote:Also it's my understanding that the Decklink Pro 4K can use both inputs and both outputs at the same time, unlike the older model I have which can only use two ins/outs or one of each, are you able to confirm that (sorry for being slightly off topic)?

Correct. However, the DUO2 gives you one additional channel at nearly no cost.
Jesper Stærkær
Independent Consultant at SuperFly.tv
Jesper Stærkær

Return to Help & Support