It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 23:19

Interlace to Progressive inside Caspar?

Help to specific problems with your setup, or discussing CasparCG bugs

Moderators: Macey, Jonas Hummelstrand, didikunz

Interlace to Progressive inside Caspar?

Postby techyjames » 03 Mar 2017, 15:19

Hello.

Let me quickly run through our setup here first... we have a Blackmagic Design ATEM Television studio (not the new model) it supports 1080i50 max (no 1080P sadly). We use this to vision mix our cameras, this then feeds into Caspar via a Blackmagic Design Videohub (this does support 1080p) and then into a Blackmagic Design decklink which we turn off or on in Caspar.

My question really is this (and I think I know the answer but I would like some of your input to check on that):
When running Caspar CG Server currently we peak at around 15% CPU, with this in mind I was tempted to take the 1080i50 Decklink (HD-SDI) input and have Caspar CG Server output in 1080p60. But will Caspar CG Server cope with this OK or will there be issues converting that 1080i50 input on the fly without eating up all the CPU?

I have the option to convert this in our Streaming Server software (Open Broadcast Software) but I think it's best to do this convert as soon as possible, so that we can see the fully mixed/converted output on our internal TVs for QCing, would everyone agree?

PS
This is a live stream we made the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZsGzg-ow8&t=402s, it has quite a lot of interlacing type movement so this is why I'm trying to get the stream to YouTube to be progressive not interlaced. Any off-topic recommendations you may have about how we can do that YouTube video any better please PM me I'd be very glad to hear them (we're doing another one next week).

Thanks, James.
Technical helper at KTV
techyjames

Re: Interlace to Progressive inside Caspar?

Postby didikunz » 03 Mar 2017, 16:07

I don't think it's possible (or looks good) if you try to get Caspar convert 50i to 60p. You can try to go from 50i to 50p but that will not help much. The other way would be to run the whole show in 720p50 (in TVS). That does not make much difference when watched in YouTube. Or you could try how that blows up to 1080p50. Probably much better than 1080i50.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby techyjames » 03 Mar 2017, 16:14

So it's probably better to do this in the encoder rather than Caspar CG then, or would that also (likely) have the same issues?

James.
Technical helper at KTV
techyjames

Postby didikunz » 03 Mar 2017, 16:59

It's normally not easy to convert from 25/50 to 30/60. Broadcasters use hardware boxes, for 5 digit numbers, to do so. What is easier is from 25 to 50 or back or from 30 to 60 or back. That is done by repeating or skiping every second image. To convert from 50 to 60 you have to extrapolate the movement and invent intermediate images. So you will not able to do that in either system easily.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests
didikunz

Postby premultiply » 09 Mar 2017, 13:13

Teranex Express does all these conversions very well for little money.
premultiply

Postby techyjames » 10 Mar 2017, 23:03

Thanks, I've now got Caspar CG outputting at 25fps in progressive.

I've also set the Decklink output to 1080p (with PSF which I'm still a little unclear on - but it doesn't seem to work without this on).

So thanks very much all!

It looks like Teranek is quite neat indeed, I'll put it on a wish list!
Technical helper at KTV
techyjames

Return to Help & Support